[Swprograms] BBC PROMS FRIDAY 18 JULY – SATURDAY 13 SEPTEMBER 2008

[Swprograms] BBC PROMS FRIDAY 18 JULY – SATURDAY 13 SEPTEMBER 2008

The Promenade Concert 2008 season, webcast live on BBC Radio 3, and ondemand for one week after each concert. More detailed listings than those below: http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2008/whatson/season/

The First Week of the Proms: Proms 1 - 10

Tomorrow marks the beginning of the 2008 BBC Proms and we've got a fantastic first week of events lined up, kicking off with a weekend of music including tomorrow's First Night celebrations, two Proms from Nigel Kennedy on Saturday and an entire day of folk music in Sunday's Proms Folk Day. Read all about it at http://bbc.co.uk/proms

Prom 1: The First Night of the Proms
Friday 18 July
The opening Prom launches our centenary celebrations of Elliott Carter and Olivier Messiaen, and features three soloists who will make return visits during the season.

Proms 2 and 3: Nigel Kennedy
Saturday 19 July
Maverick violinist Nigel Kennedy returns to the Proms - after an absence of 21 years - for Elgar's Violin Concerto, the work that first put him on the musical map following his now-classic recording. It's followed by a Late Night Prom showcasing his Quintet.

Proms 4 and 5: Folk Day
Sunday 20 July
On the first ever BBC Proms Folk Day, we're opening up the doors of the Royal Albert Hall for a special, FREE Prom, so that anyone can hear the wide range of music we offer in the spectacular surroundings of the Royal Albert Hall for free. In a day featuring a range of activities, there's the chance to explore the folk world further with Proms Family Orchestra, Proms Family Chorus, and Proms Folk in the Park - a free mini-festival in Kensington Gardens with live music, dancing and storytelling! All these events are free too!

PCM 1: Pierre-Laurent Aimard
Monday 21 July (Cadogan Hall)
A programme typical of the ever-questing Pierre-Laurent Aimard, blending music from different periods including Schumann, Elliott Carter, Bartók and Messiaen.

Prom 6: Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France
Monday 21 July
A double opportunity to celebrate Olivier Messiaen's instrument, the organ. Olivier Latry, who teaches at the Paris Conservatoire (as did Messiaen), presents two faces of the French organ tradition - solo Messiaen and Saint-Saëns's much-loved 'Organ' Symphony, a work written for London.

Prom 7: Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra (SWR)
Tuesday 22 July
Rossini's William Tell Overture opens the programme, and its long cello solo sets the scene for Haydn's C major Cello Concerto, which features French cellist Jean-Guihen Queyras in his Proms debut. Sir Roger Norrington and his German orchestra also perform the work with which Elgar began to win acclaim as a symphonist in Germany as well as in England.

Prom 8: Tallis Scholars
Tuesday 22 July
The Tallis Scholars and conductor Peter Phillips have established themselves as one of the UK's finest interpreters of Renaissance polyphonic music. In this Late Night Prom they explore two 15th-century Masses based on the chanson 'Malheur me bat', attributed to Jean de Ockeghem.

Prom 9: Lars Vogt and the BBC Symphony Orchestra
Wednesday 23 July
A Proms reprise of a programme first given in 1958, featuring two German composers who managed to retain Classical poise in the face of burgeoning Romanticism.

Prom 10: Yevgeny Sudbin and the BBC Philharmonic
Thursday 24 July
Yan Pascal Tortelier returns to the Manchester-based BBC Philharmonic, of which he is Conductor Laureate, for a programme that includes the first public performance of Arnold Bax's In memoriam, written in memory of Patrick Pearse, a leader of the failed Irish Easter Rising in 1916 (From the BBC Proms team mailing list via DXLD)