	From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of John Figliozzi
	Sent: Mon 07/07/2008 11:57 PM
	To: Shortwave programming discussion
	Subject: Re: [Swprograms] BBC World in USA

	The reason for that is pretty easy to see.  Why would Big Cable
	(owner of CNN) and News Corp. (owner of Fox News and DirecTV) invite
	a potential major competitor onto their systems?  But the BBC wasn't
	born yesterday.  They got BBC America onto many cable systems and
	satellite subscription services when it was totally an entertainment
	service and didn't have even one newscast on that network.  They made
	a concerted effort to get BBC World on those systems and got
	rejected.  So, now the Beeb is ratcheting up the news content on BBC
	America--three hours each weekday morning, a one-hour major weeknight
	newscast repeated three hours later, and a weekly version of
	Newsnight, the cutting edge news investigation program that runs
	nightly on BBC2.

	Of course, the behavior of our highly ownership concentrated media is
	cause for great concern.  But since we're in an age when corporate
	interests reign supreme and are allowed to run roughshod over
	Constitutional rights, Congress and the FCC seem not inclined to
	address the situation at present.

	John Figliozzi