Re: [Swprograms] Fwd: Bill O'Reilly Thinks You're Crazy

Re: [Swprograms] Fwd: Bill O'Reilly Thinks You're Crazy

The remit, back in April 1998 when I started the group, was shortwave
radio programming and the nascent technology of audio streaming.
Since the, much has changed within the milieu of international
broadcasting and the programing that used to be the exclusive domain
of shortwave.

We have long debated in this group the way in which commercial
domestic media, and its goals and management, have altered the radio
landscape.  Admittedly cable TV isn't shortwave, but the styles and
practices of some cable TV programming have been adopted into
commercial radio.  For some, that's OK.  For others, like Mr. Silver,
that's not OK.

Politics aside, I personally dislike Mr. O'Reilly's style -- one of
talking over his guests and cutting off their dialogue.  I dislike it
when the BBC does that too -- they'll interview someone, get the quote
they want, then cut the interview short.  I find it interesting when
Mr. O'Reilly doesn't take his own medicine -- I recall an interview
with "Fresh Air" host Terri Gross when O'Reilly walked off the set and
refused to continue the interview.

Hopefully what we retain here in the group is a civil discussion,
avoiding the flame wars that despoil many online discussion forums.  I
believe we have survived for 10+ years -- itself a decent
accomplishment -- because we keep things civil.

Let us try to keep the discussion focused on styles, content, and
strategies - separating those from any politics involved.

Contact me off-line at rdcuff@xxxxxxxxx if have any specific concerns.

Rich Cuff / List Mom and poster of the offending message