From: Mike Barraclough <mikewb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 7:35 AM
Subject: [uk-radio-listeners] RSA lecture: Future Radio
To: uk-radio-listeners@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>From the RSA (Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts,
 Manufactures and Commerce), a free event in Central London:

 Radio as a medium of culture and information is about to undertake a
 paradigm shift.  It's not that radio needs a new story, it has one
 already.  The question is how are we going to adapt to it?

 Future radio offers radical new ways of engagement.  The opportunities
 offered by high speed connectivity between portable handheld devices,
 the wide take up of wi-fi internet broadband, the nascent vitality of
 social networking sites and the inevitable process of human viral
 networking will increasingly define the future radio landscape.

 Future radio will be a multi-media, downloadable, time-switchable,
 podcastable, portable, interactive, international and consumer-led
 process.

 Are we ready for it? Can we afford it?  Can we afford not to afford
 it? Do we have to let go of all we hold dear? And how do we ensure
 that a remarkable radio heritage is not lost in the process?

 At this event, a panel of experts will look at the world of Future Radio.

 Panel to include:

 Ivor Gaber, Emeritus Professor of Broadcast Journalism, Goldsmiths
 University of London; Andrew Philips, Channel 4 Radio, Ayesha
 Mohideen, Head of Speech Radio Interactive, BBC Audio & Music
 Interactive and Neil Gardner, Chair, Radio Independents Group

 Chaired by Norman Lebrecht, Assistant Editor, London Evening Standard
 and presenter, BBC Radio 3.

 In association with RIG (Radio Independents Group) and the Society of
 Authors.

 Free but pre-book at the link below, location Location: RSA, 8 John
 Adam Street, London, WC2N 6EZ (just off the Strand between Charing
 Cross and the Savoy). The audio of this event may stream online or be
 available later as a podcast. Booking link:

 http://www.thersa.org/events/detail.asp?eventID=2484

 Yahoo! Groups Links

 <*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

 <*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

 <*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:uk-radio-listeners-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    mailto:uk-radio-listeners-fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

--
Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

International broadcasting / shortwave blog:
http://www.intlradio.blogspot.com