[Swprograms] Kol Israel possibly to disappear from shortwave? No, really, I mean it...

[Swprograms] Kol Israel possibly to disappear from shortwave? No, really, I mean it...

I know...this is like the boy crying "wolf" since the shutdown of Kol
Israel has been threatened periodically for years...

The independent "israelradio.org" and posts to DXLD have indicated
that the shortwave transmitters used by Kol Israel may be switched off
as of January 1st, 2008.

Most of the programming (including English) currently audible via
shortwave is actually produced for the domestic Israeli audience --
non-Hebrew programming airs on a radio service for primarily new
immigrants called REKA.  (aside...this is like Radio Canada
International, is it not...).  The only service produced expressly for
a non-Israeli audience is the Persian service.

The World Radio Network still offers a single 15-minute daily newscast
recorded at 0430 UT; the 25-minute news magazine is kaput.  This *may*
be still available on the domestic service called "88FM", which is
webcast live, but the schedule for 88FM isn't available in English,
and I am not good enough at reading Hebrew to figure that out.

Several daily editions of the 15-minute newscast are available
directly from the Israeli Broadcasting Authority website; check out
http://www.iba.org.il/, then "English", then "Radio On Demand", then
"REKA - Intl. Radio".  Times shown there are IST -- which is UTC+2 in
the North American winter.  One would expect these would continue
regardless of the status of shortwave.

We in the USA would probably have the most success (if any at this
juncture) contacting the Israeli embassy or its consulates; best place
to start is http://www.israelemb.org/.  Not sure if it's worth
contacting the IBA itself or not.

Check out DXLD for more updates; Glenn is more likely to have updates
there than I would here.

Richard

--
Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

International broadcasting / shortwave blog:
http://www.intlradio.blogspot.com