[Swprograms] OT: Sharper Image 5 Band Digital Radio -- $30 (Clearance)

[Swprograms] OT: Sharper Image 5 Band Digital Radio -- $30 (Clearance)

OT: Sharper Image 5 Band Digital Radio -- $30 (Clearance)
(Relevant only if you live near a SI store (store locator: U.S.A. &  also Basel)
http://www.sharperimagebest.com/store-locator.html

I was over at Sharper Image yesterday [usually I stay away from stores like it (eg Brookstone] that sit virtually next to Tiffany's near on Fifth Ave here in NYC but both advertised a big sale so I went in.

Sharper Image was running a closeout on their  Sharper Image 5 Band Digital Radio: Half the (original) price,  I picked up the last one.  It's no longer avail on line but check your local Sharper Image.  I figure that that $30 paid for a iot more than just the 5th Ave shelf space!

I have been in the market for an inexpensive digital AM-FM for some time, but have never found anything I liked at the right price.

This is spot on--with a few caveats (the Amazon reviews pasted in below will fill you in).  I may call the other SI stores in Manhattan to fid a 2nd!

Chet Copeland
Google's cache page for the SI 5 Band
I shortened the URL via TinyURL
http://tinyurl.com/yuuvuc
or
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:8CBf52yaJ7EJ:www.sharperimagebest.com/ct800.html+sharper+image+five-band+global+radio&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

  CT800 - Sharper Image Five-Band Global Radio
Regular price: $39.95padSpecial Offer: $29.95

Digital AM/FM world shortwave radio with aluminum-cone speakers also tunes weather bands and TV audio!

  • Portable AM/FM digital radio also tunes in shortwave stations from around the world, TV audio and weather bands.
  • Enjoy rich, full-range high fidelity stereo sound through dual built-in state-of-the-art aluminum-cone speakers.
  • Convenient direct-input digital tuner allows instant access to a specific frequency.
  • Store up to 45 stations in the preset memory (10 AM, 10 FM, 10 TV, 10 SW and 5 WX).

    This portable AM/FM digital radio also tunes in shortwave stations from around the world, TV audio and weather bands. Enjoy rich, full-range high fidelity stereo sound through dual built-in state-of-the-art aluminum-cone speakers.

    A convenient direct-input digital tuner allows instant access to a specific frequency ? just key in the number on the ten-digit keypad and the station tunes automatically. Store up to 45 stations in the preset memory (10 AM, 10 FM, 10 TV, 10 SW and 5 WX). Aluminum-Cone Driver Technology? delivers super-high energy output, low distortion and superior frequency response for brilliant clarity and full-range richness that is amazing to hear from speakers this size.

    Features a blue backlit LCD with dual-time clock, 90-minute sleep timer and a built-in headphone jack. Snooze alarm wakes you to the radio or a buzzer. Measures 11 3/4" x 3" x 7" and weighs 3.8 lbs. Plugs in with a detachable AC power cord or runs on 4 D batteries (purchase separately). 90-day warranty.
    Amazon info page & Reviews (I pasted the reviews in below)
    http://www.amazon.com/Sharper-Image-Five-Band-Global-Tuner/dp/B0006L4U3G

    Get it while its hot, June 27, 2007
    By  chris walters "Deal Seeker" (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews

    With the recent price drop, this is by far the best digital radio you will find anywhere in this price range. I considered getting this a couple of years ago when it debuted at Sharper Image at more than twice this price. Nice solid build, good full stereo sound, nice reception on AM and FM, decent shortwave if you attach a clip antenna to the whip, and TV to boot! 10 presets on each. There is a pop as another reviewer noted when turned on and off but it isn't loud. The two LEDs are bright but you can put a little piece of tape over them if this is an issue. One star off for no input jack.
    -------------
     Good radio with flaw, February 15, 2006
    By  cmastro (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
    Agree with other reviewers about audio quality and good looks of this radio, but I get a very loud pop whenever I change station, change band, turn power on or off, etc. Quite an annoyance from an otherwise good little radio.
    ------------------------
    Very good radio depending on where you want to use it., December 10, 2005
    By  KING-J - See all my reviews
    Performance of the AM and FM radio bands are excellent. The TV and weather bands are only adequate. I get better performance from my analog Sony ICF-36, but since I primarily use the AM band that is not a problem. I wanted to use this radio mostly at night and like the sleep timer and the headphone jack. There are not many quality radios in the 60$ price range that have both of these features. As the previous reviewer stated, the Power and Stereo LEDs are "Hurt your eyes intense". That is very accurate statement. Since I wanted to use this radio at night, it was more than a minor annoyance. It produces a blue/green light that is so bright I can actually read by it, not too good if you are trying to go to sleep. In addition, when the using radio with AC power you cannot shut off the blue backlight either, so it is annoying even if the radio is off. The backlight can be turned off only when you are using batteries (this is not mentioned in the operation manual). Since the radio has an alarm clock and a sleep timer, not being able to turn off or even lower these extremely bright lights is to me a major design flaw. In conclusion, if you are purchasing it to sit on your night stand then I would not recommend it. If you intend to use it elsewhere then it is an excellent radio for the price.
     AM listeners will be pleased, March 4, 2005
    By  Christopher Cuff (Forestburgh, NY USA) - See all my reviews

    Out of the box, I was impressed by this radios good looks. I had wanted a small self contained stereo radio that had halfway decent performance. This radio boasts a better than average AM circuit, thanks to a very large internal Ferrite antenna. Stations from one end of the dial to the other came in equally, and very well. I added my own AM Stereo decoder which made it even better (why no radios offer this option is beyond me). On the FM side, my only beef is the lack of a mono/stereo switch. Living in the sticks, there are many stations that this radio DOES get that no other radio will, but the noise and distortion while in "stereo" mode makes them annoying to listen to. The Power and Stereo LED's are VERY intense- "Hurt your eyes" intense, but this is minor. Now, there is NO auxillary input jack- sad. I added my own, but for a non-tech, this would be difficult. Lastly, the tone control is a simple "hi-Lo" switch, where it should be variable. All in all, for the price and performance it is a real good radio- Try to buy it at a local Sharper image store- their shipping charges are awfully high.
    First Impressions, January 24, 2005
    By  Ray Photon (Russellville, Arkansas USA) - See all my reviews
    I briefly compared the sound of this radio to a Grundig S350 at a Sharper Image store.
    The FM sound quality was excellent; much clearer than the Grundig in my opinion.
    Performance on AM and shortwave was hard to judge on either radio due to the environment.