[Swprograms] V. of Turkey program schedule

[Swprograms] V. of Turkey program schedule

** TURKEY. Just got a new V. of Turkey by p-mail-only program schedule, the
95th edition, postmarked 18 July (with a real stamp! Showing Istanbul skyline),
so they are still coming out twice a year. Accompanied by a cardboard bookmark
showing a braided mosaic on one side, and all languages` e-mail addresses on
the other.

They still fail to define their terms, but now at midyear it is apparent that
III. Term means the third quarter, Jul-Aug-Sep, and IV. Term means the fourth
quarter, Oct-Nov-Dec.

There are also English I and English II, each of which is divided into the two
Terms, and most program titles of which are identical, with two exceptions, on
Monday and Saturday. It would be far more user-friendly to combine all four of
these into one master schedule, with notations of changes for the IV. Term or
English II vs English I.

As usual, Live From Turkey, the call-in preempting other features, is the
intruder messing up a neat schedule, since we know it appears on the 1230 UT
broadcast on Thursdays, and on the 1830 UT Tuesdays (one UT hour later in
winter; axually starts about :50 past the hours).

So here is our reworking of the English programming into one annotated master
schedule. Specific times within the 50-55 minute broadcasts are not provided.
For the 0300 broadcast, the final repeat, read one UT day later than shown:

Daily: NEWS, REVIEW OF THE TURKISH PRESS; and then:

Mon: FROM TURKEY; HUES & COLOURS OF ANATOLIA; MEVLANA FROM PRESENT TO FUTURE
[IV: IDIL BIRET instead]

Tue: SPORTS ROUND-UP; AGENDA; ATATÜRK THROUGH DIARIES; FOODS OF THE COURT
[1850: last two replaced by LIVE FROM TURKEY]

Wed: REVIEW OF THE FOREIGN MEDIA; THE MIDDLE EAST FROM TURKEY`S WINDOW; LETTER
BOX

Thu: AGENDA; LIVE FROM TURKEY [oh, oh, this shows LFT on ALL Thursday
broadcasts, a mistake, so what is the other programming? Or could be that the
Thu 1250 LFT is now just played back at 1850, 2050, 2220, Fri 0320 contrary to
previous pattern, to be confirmed; why not? We know the 0300 UT Sunday
broadcast is a repeat of the 1830 Saturday, per the time check before the
``news``, or should we say, ``olds``?]

Fri: NEW DIMENSIONS OF THE ARMENIAN ISSUE; TURKISH ALBUM; THROUGH HISTORY /
TURKISH CAPITAL [the ``/`` probably means alternating week to week, tho not
explained]

Sat: OUTLOOK; FROM OUR CORRESPONDENTS (``The programme `From our correspondent
[sic]` may be replaced by a feature programme broadcast two days earlier if
technical conditions necessitate``) / NEW DIMENSIONS OF THE ARMENIAN ISSUE [the
latter is shown only for English I, not English II, whatever that means; it
would make more sense if it were shown for III Term, but not IV Term]; THROUGH
HISTORY / DX CORNER [as confirmed in July, the projected on-weeks for DX Corner
are Aug 11-12, 25-26, etc., but all they did was read and acknowledge reception
reports]; TURKISH MUSIC

Sun: FROM THE WORLD; THROUGH THEIR EYES / TURKISH STARS; THE BLUE VOYAGE /
TURKISH ON RADIO / TURKISH MUSIC [has the same asterisked notation on English I
but not II listings, as for CORRESPONDENTS Sat above, which does not make
sense]

There is no background info on these programs; especially what MEVLANA, to be
replaced by IDIL BIRET, on Mondays, are about. Fortunately, in DXLD 7-020,
about the previous edition we had this: ``The printed program folder also has
an article about Mevlâna, since 2007 is World Mevlâna Year (had you heard?),
about Sufism, Whirling Dervishes, etc.``. Google quickly reveals with 127,000
hits, that Idil Biret is an outstanding Turkish concert pianist, b. 1941,
starting with http://www.idilbiret.org/

Altho we admit to listening to VOT more on their webcast than on SW, there is
no direct link shown to the webcasts, only a minor mention of their parent
organization homepage http://www.trt.net.tr An entire panel of the folder,
however, is again dedicated to ``TRT Voice of Turkey and Tourism Radio
Satellite Programme Schedule``, with all the parameters for 16 different
services and not a word about ``programmes``.

Via publicradiofan.com we find this audio player page:
http://www.trt.net.tr/wwwtrt/canli.aspx
but do we punch VOT West, World or East?

The answer is on this page: http://www.trt.net.tr/voiceofturkey/language.htm
showing all the English broadcasts are in the World category only, and all the
times are one hour off as in winter. It also has satellite info in different
format, but maybe same as in the folder, uncompared.

These are the direct audio linx at PRF:
http://www.publicradiofan.com/cgibin/wrap.pl?s=mms://212.175.166.3/RDVOT
and http://www.turkishmedia.com/stream/vot.asx

For those who have not yet memorized them, the A-07 English frequencies thru 28
October are:

1230 15450 Eu, 13685 Au/As
1830  9785 Eu
2030  7170 Au/As
2200  6195 Eu/NAm
0300  5975 Eu/NAm, 7270 As/Af

15450 sometimes makes it to CNAm, tho not lately; reception should pick up as
equinox approaches.

There are also some articles in the folder, notably about VOT`s 70th
anniversary (shux, too late to help in the essay contest), and a bit about
their own news monitoring service, which however works only in Russian, Arabic
and Greek. We`ve scanned and posted these and the bookmark in the files of the
dxld yahoogroup. Cover girl is VOT`s very first English-language announcer from
26.11.1941, the auburn-haired and thus un-scarved Berter Tali --- who gets only
6 Google hits, none in English (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)