Re: [Swprograms] OT: $60 HD Radio by Radiosophy (After $40 Rebate - USA)

Re: [Swprograms] OT: $60 HD Radio by Radiosophy (After $40 Rebate - USA)

He purchased the Boston Acoustics Recepter HD and he too was disappointed in the initial results. He told me the addition of a better antenna dramatically improved reception and he is now very happy with all the new content he is able to receive on the airwaves. He is quite pleased with the HD2 offerings, particularly WPLJ in New York, which is broadcasting two HD2 channels along side its HD1/analog offering. That he finds the new channels compelling is the best news for HD radio and why the Alliance needs to correct this issue immediately."

  WHAT YA THINK?

  Chet Copeland

I won the Boston Acoustics HD Recepter as a door prize, and though I haven't used it that much yet, I found it to be OK receiving the HD channels from WHYY-FM (public radio) and WRTI (Temple University), both in Philadelphia.  I live in far NE Philadelphia, and in a bit of a valley, and have only used the short wire antenna for FM, and haven't tried AM HD stations yet.  With the short wire, I was able to hold WHYY and WRTI HD channels pretty well, though the signals would occasionally drop out… often solved by moving the wire to a different position in my window well.   I'm sure when I hook up a longer antenna that it will work just fine.  I've had no trouble receiving analog FM channels at all.

The review Chet cites was written by someone in central NJ who was trying to pick up rather distant stations like NYC.  You would think, though, that the Boston Acoustics would do just as well with NYC analog signals as the shower radio and car radio, but it's disappointing to hear it doesn't.

I will be taking my HD receiver to DC in late June/early July, where there are many HD stations.   If my hotel room is conducive to any kind of radio reception…my room there last year was fine for FM on my Yacht Boy 400, but those darn fluorescent lamp bulbs the hotels use now screwed up shortwave reception unless I wanted to listen in the dark!…   I hope to give HD reception a good test, and will report back afterwards.  Meanwhile, you might want to check websites for various stations in your area that have HD channels to see if they have coverage maps.  IIRC, I saw one on WHYY's site, or was it WAMU's in DC?

I would think it'd be best to wait til you can buy the Radiosophy radio or another radio locally, though the rebate might be expired by then, so it'd be easy to return if it doesn't work well in your location.

Cheers,
Saul Broudy