[Swprograms] DirecTV to Test BPL?

>From the SkyReport News today:

"DIRECTV May Test BPL

The country's largest satellite TV provider may be sitting on a plan to test
delivering high-speed internet service in a largely untested way. Ask DIRECTV
executives how the company plans to compete with cable's triple play of
services, and the answer may come as broadband over powerlines - or BPL.

CEO Chase Carey told attendees at the Reuters Global Technology, Media and
Telecoms Summit in New York on Monday that DIRECTV may test drive BPL services
in a major U.S. city as soon as next year. According to reports, the exec said
DIRECTV is talking with companies that specialize in providing broadband via
electrical lines, and the satellite company is not alone.

"We're not the only ones talking to them. I think you'll see some meaningful
tests in this arena," Carey said. DIRECTV may be getting close to testing the
BPL serve in a "top 50 city where you're covering at least half the city."

The DIRECTV head said the company has looked into Wi-MAX for the delivery of
internet services. Carey also said a potential partnership with rival EchoStar
on a broadband strategy was still being tossed around, as were talks with other
companies to bring new broadband options to subscribers."

--
-Rob de Santos