From: Richard Cuff <rdcuff@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, March 16, 2007 9:29 am
Subject: [Swprograms] Fwd: Fw: SOUNDPRINT Weekly Update
To: Shortwave programming discussion <swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> FYI, This week's "Soundprint" public radio documentary was
> produced by Radio
> Netherlands' David Swatling.
>
> Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

Pond<http://soundprint.org/radio/display_show/ID/722/name/Little+Fish+i
n+a+Multiculti+Pond/>

> *Produced by: David Swatling*
> Not very far from Amsterdam is a neighborhood called the Baarsjes, or
> "little fish". The area covers less than one square mile, and
> houses 35,000
> residents from 126 countries. Such multicultural diversity in such
> a small
> area has not been without serious problems. Controversy and
> discriminationare not uncommon in the area. The most recent debate
> surrounds plans to
> build a new Turkish mosque. But residents believe they can make a
> differenceby taking initiatives to bring these diverse communities
> together - through
> meetings, sport and cultural events. Producer David Swatling of Radio
> Netherlands takes to the streets of his neighborhood to find out
> just how
> much is changing for the "Little Fish in a Multiculti Pond." This
> programwas produced by Radio Netherlands Worldwide as part of our
> special Global
> Perspective series on belief.

[more<http://soundprint.org/radio/display_show/ID/722/name/Little+Fish+
in+a+Multiculti+Pond/>
> ]
>
> Making a Home for

Refugees<http://soundprint.org/radio/display_show/ID/217/name/Making+a+
Home+for+Refugees/>
> [image: Radio Speaker: Listen
> Online]<http://soundprint.org/streamIt.php?
stream=documentaries/m/making_a_home.rm>
> *Produced by: Esther Armah*
> In 'Making a Home for Refugees' BBC producer Esther Armah reports
> from Hull
> in the north east of England. Traditionally Hull has had only a
> very small
> ethnic community numbering some 300 Chinese, so there was
considerable
> suspicion when the local council agreed to accept around 250 Iraqi
> Kurds,under the British government's dispersal programme. In fact
> between 1,500
> and 3,000 arrived in the city, as a result of a deal done by private
> landlords. Initially there were incidents of violence and racial
> abuse, even
> today there are occasional attacks. But as Esther discovered, despite
> lingering prejudice, there is a growing acceptance of these
> refugees and
> asylum-seekers. This program airs as part of the special
international
> collaboration series Global Perspectives: Looking for
> Home.
[more<http://soundprint.org/radio/display_show/ID/217/name/Making+a+Hom
e+for+Refugees/>