[Swprograms] Sirius WRN Preempted Daily for Sports

[Swprograms] Sirius WRN Preempted Daily for Sports

Someone on the Sirius Backstage web site posted this interesting
comment:

"The irony is that both Sirius, and XM are marketing to a generation
that is able to choose its own programming via I-pod and such, and who
have a finite amount of disposable income. Concurrently, they are
abandoning the very people who are accustomed to paying for radio,
e.g. NPR supporters, and shortwave listeners.

Thirteen dollars per month is not an excess to me if I can turn on
Sirius and choose between Car Talk, Euroquest, Deutche Welle, Radio
Prague, This American Life, or Egads a replay of ALL the Sunday News
magazines on C-Span. If I stay tuned, I can even listen to Prime
Minister's Questions.

Sirius should have learned from the Stern fiasco. His fans knew for
years that he was moving to Sirius. He gave out free radios. He did
everything he could to promote the service and to bring his listeners
with him. Yet, only a small percentage of his purportedly devoted fans
made the commitment to "pay radio". Some people just won't pay a
monthly fee for radio.

Conversely, many NPR listeners have long supported local member
stations, just as those who enjoy international broadcasts have spent
large sums of cash on specialized radios to listen to Radio China in
the dead of night through a whistling heterodyne. These are the people
that will pay for radio, without hesitation, if the content is
anywhere close to being appealing and convenient. If picking podcasts
of desired content becomes more convenient to these people, they will
dump Sirius rather quickly.

I like Sinatra. I Like Spa 73, 70's, and Starlite. I will even listen
to Howard Stern in small doses. However, I wouldn't be spending a
monthly fee for a jukebox that I cannot program. Apparently, most of
those in their 20's and 30's won't either."