Re: [Swprograms] Clear The Channels

One thing that is already underway at Clear Channel is a bunch of cost
reductions.  Longtime AM drive personalities are being jettisoned;
while many will continue to be paid for a few months to a year, the
emphasis at CC is cutting cost.

I hang out occasionally on some of the regional message boards at
http://www.radio-info.com, where the continued slow death of
commercial radio plays itself out on a daily basis.

Unfortuantely things aren't all rosy on the domestic public radio
front, either.  Listenership to NPR appears to have plateaued.

Speaking of vacant channels, those in the Philly region might want to
see what they can hear on 97.5 FM right now.  The Trenton, NJ-based FM
station is switching ownership and format, and is (for now, at least)
off the air.

Here in North America, at least, young and the not-so-young focus on
on-demand listening, as we've discussed, and international
broadcasters have generally met these needs -- the roster of podcasts
continues to grow, and the amount of SW RF targeting North America
continues to drop.

I am eager to see how RCI does in its new universe -- one could
consider their October overhaul as analogous to a commercial station's
change of music format.  I applaud them for the risk they've taken,
but it certainly is programming that is targeted away from a
traditional North American SW audience.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA