From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Richard Cuff
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:13 AM
To: Shortwave programming discussion
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] [dxld] BBC SW

Remember their logic is the reverse of that --

The BBC first asked themselves, "Who do we want to reach?"

Then they asked themselves, "How does that target audience get its information?"

The strategies and tactics then follow from that line of reasoning.

I wonder if VT (Merlin) is picking up the cost of the DRM transmission
to North America as a demonstration project -- such that the BBC isn't
paying for the time?

That way the BBC is indifferent to the fact they're broadcasting to
North America via shortwave -- it's really VT Merlin broadcasting to
NA using BBC content.

BTW -- if you inspect the Public Radio Fan schedules for BBC
programming, you can see that, gradually, the BBCWS has gradually made
inroads on "non-insommniac" programming on US public radio.  Upwards
of 50 US public radio stations -- including stations in NYC, Boston,
and Philadelphia -- air Newshour in the mornings at least on weekdays.
 A few are also picking up the 2000 edition.  A few stations are
picking up Outlook in the afternoons; same for the 0300 edition of The
World Today, along with the 1141 and 1841 editions of "Analysis".

This is little consolation to folks north of the border, I realize...
Canada has been treated worse than us Americans when it comes to BBCWS
access.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA