From: IDEAS
To: ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 4:16 PM
Subject: [Ideas] IDEAS for March 20 - March 24th

This week on IDEAS:

Monday, March 20
RETHINKING THE MILITARY
Where are the sharpest spears? In a Calgary Institute for the
Humanities seminar,
military analysts David Bercuson, Janice Stein, and David Rudd debate
new roles for our military.

Tuesday, March 21
TRAFFIC JAM
Here's something to listen to while stuck in gridlock. IDEAS producer
Dave Redel
steers his way through some new ways of understanding why traffic acts
the way it does.
Visit the traffic jam simulation website mentioned in the show:
http://vwisb7.vkw.tu-dresden.de/%7Etreiber/MicroApplet/index.html

Wednesday, March 22 – Thursday, March 23
UNFOLDING VISIONS
Maps shape our perceptions of things. They combine utility and
aesthetics in a compact visual language.
They reflect the world, and they can change it. They can find what is
lost and hide what is there.
>From Borneo to Salt Spring Island, Kathleen Flaherty delves into the
truths and lies, the politics
and power of maps.
For more more details about the show: list of resources and picture gallery,
visit our website at:
http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/features/unfolding_visions/index.html

Friday, March24
A BLUEPRINT FOR THE CITY OF JUSTICE
In the seventh annual LaFontaine-Baldwin Symposium, celebrated Canadian author
George Elliot Clarke explores Canada's multicultural roots and
confronts the critical
issues facing Canada's diverse cities today of ethnic disaffection,
violence and poverty.
The LaFontaine-Baldwin Symposium is Canada's pre-eminent national forum for the
discussion of the future of democracy in Canada. Find out more about
the 2006 Symposium
by visiting the Lafontaine-Baldwin website at:
http://www.lafontaine-baldwin.com/2006-speaker.

As of April 3rd IDEAS will have one program available weekly as a
podcast.  The programs
 will be from our past season.  Each week a new program will be added
to the podcast list.
Visit our website on April 3rd for details.

For more information about IDEAS: monthly schedules, how to order CDs
and transcripts,
browse our feature pages and past schedules, visit our website at:
http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/

To send us an email please reply to ideas@xxxxxx