Re: [Swprograms] White Paper on BBC - BBCWS section

Re: [Swprograms] White Paper on BBC - BBCWS section

A couple things struck me on this synopsis:

1) The emphasis on making language services available to in-country
minorities.  I wonder if this will change the mission of these
services -- will they become more like "voices from home" instead of
views of the world interpreted for the country / culture in question?

2) The use of the "C" word -- competition -- which is a harbinger for
requiring management experience from the commercial sector.  The
concern is that the "public service" concept, which is how the BBC
World Service built its reputation, gets inappropriately diminished,
alienating the target audiences the World Service seeks.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA