From: Mike Barraclough <mikewb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Feb 14, 2006 8:02 AM
Subject: [uk-radio-listeners] BBC to podcast hourly news, Woman's Hour
and Paxman in trial extension
To: uk-radio-listeners@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The next stage of the BBC's downloading and podcasting trial will
include experiments with hourly news bulletins, Woman's Hour podcasts
and audio highlights from BBC TWO's Newsnight. Twenty-nine more radio
programmes and highlights packages will join the trial - which allows
listeners to download shows and subscribe to regular podcasts – later
this month.

They include an hourly news summary from the BBC World Service and
Jeremy Paxman's first podcasting venture in a weekly, audio-only
download featuring the pick of the interviews from Newsnight.

The strong news line-up is complemented by a collection of flagship
BBC Radio 4 programmes, with podcasts from Woman's Hour, Start the
Week, Broadcasting House, Today in Parliament and Front Row amongst
others. Woman's Hour - in its 60th year on air - will offer a daily
download featuring the top item from the morning's programme. Front
Row will podcast a key interview each week, while Broadcasting House
and Start The Week will be available to download in their entirety
once a week.

BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra contribute weekly podcasts featuring the pick of
interviews, gossip (Chart Chat with JK & Joel), news entertainment
(Radio 1 Entertainment News) and unsigned music in the shape of Best
of Unsigned (Radio 1) and 100% Homegrown Mix (1Xtra), while Scott
Mills joins station-mate Chris Moyles with a daily, speech-only package.

BBC Radio 3 joins the trial with Discovering Music and a weekly speech
highlights package.

New additions from BBC Radio Five Live include highlights of football
debate throughout the week from 606 and daily highlights from Simon
Mayo in Daily Mayo.

>From BBC Nations and Regions, BBC Radio Cymru offers the BBC's first
Welsh-language podcast and BBC Radio Wales' All Things Considered
gives a weekly insight into religion and spirituality.

There is also space for one-off, ad hoc programming throughout the
trial. Jeff Randall's interview with Rupert Murdoch for Five Live's
Weekend Business programme was the first download to be offered in
this slot.

All of the programmes will be available as downloads and podcasts at
bbc.co.uk/radio from February until June. There are plans to bring the
total number of programmes in the trial to 50, with more programmes to
be added to the trial once confirmed.

Simon Nelson, Controller of BBC Radio & Music Interactivr, said: "In
extending the trial, we're offering some of BBC Radio's most
distinctive programming and a broad range of shows to cater to most
tastes. The feedback we get from the trial is helping to inform our
strategy for 'audio on demand', giving listeners the control they are
becoming increasingly used to in the digital world. Downloading and
podcasting are potentially fantastic ways for us to make our on demand
programmes as accessible as live radio always has been."

The new programmes added to the trial are:
Scott Mills Daily       Radio 1         Daily
Radio 1 Entertainment News      Radio 1         Weekly
Radio 1's Best of Unsigned      Radio 1         Weekly
Chart Chat with JK & Joel       Radio 1         Weekly
Radio 1's Music Interviews      Radio 1         Weekly
100% Homegrown Mix      1Xtra   Weekly
Discovering Music       Radio 3         Weekly
Radio 3 Speech Highlights       Radio 3         Weekly
Broadcasting House      Radio 4         Weekly
Front Row       Radio 4         Weekly
Radio 4 Choice  Radio 4         Weekly
Woman's Hour    Radio 4         Daily
Start The Week  Radio 4         Weekly
Today in Parliament     Radio 4         Daily
606     Five Live       Wed, Sat, Sun
The Chequered Flag      Five Live Fortnightly after race weekends
Wake up to Money        Five Live       Daily
Daily Mayo      Five Live       Daily
Studio 834      World Service   Weekly
World Today Select      World Service   Daily
World Service News Bulletin     World Service   Hourly
Best of Radio News      News    Daily - possibly twice daily
C2 Pick of the Week     Radio Cymru     Weekly
Sportsound Extra        Radio Scotland  Weekly (tbc)
TBC     Radio Ulster    TBC
All Things Considered   Radio Wales     Weekly
Brighton & Sussex Breakfast     Southern Counties       Weekly
Specials/one off programmes     All     Ad hoc
Newsnight       BBC TWO         Weekly

And those currently offered that will continue to be available:

Best of Moyles  Radio 1
Chris Evans - The Best Bits     Radio 2
Today 8.10 Interview    Radio 4
In Our Time     Radio 4
>From Our Own Correspondent      Radio 4
In Business     Radio 4
File on 4       Radio 4
Mark Kermode's Film Reviews     Five Live
Fighting Talk   Five Live
Sportsweek      Five Live
Talking 6 Music         6 Music
Film Café       Asian Network
Big Toe Clipping        BBC 7
Letter to Gaelic Learners       Radio nan Gaidheal
The Weekender   Radio Northampton
Documentary Archive     World Service
Go Digital      World Service
Rooze Haftom    World Service (Persian)

(BBC Press Office)

Tired of hearing the same songs over and over?
Listen to Internet Radio! Skip songs. Click to listen to LAUNCHcast!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.mKGzA/HARHAA/kkyPAA/CPMolB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/