[Swprograms] Programmes I Like (# 18 )

"Write On"--BBC World Service:

   It's a peek behind the scenes, if you will.

   The BBC World Service generates lots of mail, partly due to its
massive output, and "Write On" is a good means by which to get a
glimpse of what some of that mail is all about.

   "Write On" is a 13-15 minute programme that responds to listener
comments about the World Service. These comments can come via e-mail,
postal mail,  SMS texting, and fax. Occasionally, there are also phone
conversations with listeners, which allows for a more in-depth
discussion of that person's complaint and/or point-of-view. And
although most feedback is critical and questioning, there are also
some comments of praise and compliments

   Comments and questions are read on-air by World Service announcers,
with comments from the host frequently added or interspersed.

   Hosted, on a rotating basis by Dilly Barlow, Penny Vine and Nick
Baker, listener questions and concerns are often put to the
appropriate officials for a response. Those responses discuss station
policies, plans, and programming philosophy. In addition, those
responsible for specific programmes are put in the "hotseat", enabling
listeners to learn of the "how" and "why" of programme making

   When a response is vague, or unsatisfactory, the host will press
the issue via follow-up questions.

   This process sometimes produces unsatisfactory results, yet
nevertheless allows listeners of the programme to learn how and why
World Service decisions are made. We may not agree with the official
reasoning, but at least we know why something is being done or not
done. It also allows us to learn of upcoming changes to frequencies,
programmes, and other services.

   "Write On" is a vehicle for listeners to vent their displeasure
with the World Service, and gain a brief insight into how it works.
Regardless of how one views the comments offered in the show (good or
bad or indifferent), I think that it is required listening for anyone
who has a strong interest in the BBC World Service.

Website:   http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/write_on.shtml

E-Mail:     <writeon@xxxxxxxxx>