Re: [Swprograms] John Tusa BBCWS editorial in the Guardian

--- John Figliozzi <jfiglio1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gosh, I don't see this at all.  As I read it, he
> totally recognizes
> the value and importance of the BBC using all
> platforms.  He even says so directly.

Where? He says this:

'Since then the BBC has successfully offered listeners
programmes in short wave, medium wave, FM and online.
Its own review of broadcasting spoke of "increasing
impact by being on relevant platforms including
television and more video online". So far so good.
What this diversification policy seems to have
overlooked in the presentation of the case to the
Foreign Office was the huge disparities of cost
between these delivery systems.'

So he introduces television, having recognised the
importance of four platforms, and then presents a cost
argument about television but does not relate the cost
to the number of people using the service. We know,
for example, this limited hours Czech service has
17,000 listeners. And this is after a bizarre first
two paragraphs claiming, without any basis, that any
BBC Arabic Television service will automatically be
seen as a government mouthpiece. This presumes the
entire Arab world to which it is targeted is aware of
the machinations of decision making between the FCO
and the BBCWS. It isn't. Whatever reputation the BBCWS
has built up through its radio service and online site
will transfer over to its TV service.

>I don't see his article stimulating this much
>opprobrium.

Too strong a word, I think the article is illogical
and statistically flawed. Being a mathematician that
tends to be the way I analyse things. I am always wary
of commentators who use emotive language as it is
often used to mask a weak argument.

Mike