Re: [Swprograms] John Tusa BBCWS editorial in the Guardian

Re: [Swprograms] John Tusa BBCWS editorial in the Guardian

Tusa's argument is fundamentally flawed. His first two
paragraphs are emotive bluster using phrases such as
cull and unequal sacrifice and making a contrast
between ten radio services and 'a single Arabic
television service' hoping the reader will not realise
that in fact this single Arabic television service
will cover a huge amount of territory. His point about
the BBC being seen to be a cold war journal de combat
rather than a broadcaster committed to free and
independent news and information I don't understand or
accept since the BBC will be judged by the Arab world
by its reporting, it certainly cannot be accused of
just broadcasting the UK government line on Iraq or
terrorism.

He then sees a request to start an Arabic television
service as a misjudgement. Presumably he would have
wished the BBC WS to have kept this a secret from the
Foreign Office.

He then says the BBC made a fundamental strategic
error by ever mentioning the word television.

Having got this far he then says radio is cheap per
listener per year, television very expensive. Does he
mean per listener per year. It appears so as he then
quotes this mathematical equation he has come up with
of ten radio services equals one television service.
Vividly illustrates this he boldly declares.

Of course the ten radio services that are being
proposed to axed have, in the main, very few listeners
whereas the Arabic television service has the
potential of gaining a very large audience and will
cover a lot of countries as Arabic is a major language
unlike Greek , Bulgarian etc. So his per listener
maths equation collapses.

He then decides to keep throwing the word cull in as
well as repeating the one for ten line. Repeat things
often enough and they don't get challenged perhaps.

At the end of the article he opines that international
broadcasting should not use television but solely
radio which to me seems to be his basic argument and
one I don't fully accept. If radio listening is low in
some countries you should look at other platforms.

Mike

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/media/story/0,12123,1604902,00.html.