[Swprograms] BBCWS boosts news programming to Africa

[Swprograms] BBCWS boosts news programming to Africa

Source:  http://www.infosat.lu via a Google news alert.

The Africa streams will get both "Africa-Have Your Say" and the new
"World Have Your Say" programs, which will be separated by "Focus On
Africa" on the schedule.

Also interesting to see Jerry Timmins' name surface; he was
responsible for the Americas when we lost most of our targeted
shortwave programming in 2001.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

-----

Connecting with a continent: BBC expands its flagship programming to
Africa 	 		 	12.10.2005

BBC World Service English for Africa is responding to listener demand
by further expanding its programming to Africa.

Starting on Saturday 15 October, its popular flagship programmes
Africa, Have Your Say, Fast Track and Network Africa will offer
listeners across the continent new opportunities to take part and
engage with news, sport and music, seven days a week.

Jerry Timmins, Head of BBC World Service Africa & Middle East Region,
said: "At least 20 million listeners tune into these programmes every
week, and we are constantly seeking new ways to serve them better.

"BBC research shows there is a strong demand from listeners for more
opportunities to hear what others in Africa have to say, to connect
and contribute, and these programmes will further open up
opportunities for Africans to have their say."

Martin Davies, Editor of Africa, Have Your Say, said: "Our listeners
in Africa are constantly telling us they want more interactivity and
of course, we are listening to them.

"Africa, Have Your Say is all about connections, and the means of
expression are diverse – telephone calls, text messages and emails. In
many instances, our listeners will set the agenda, and our improved
schedule will ensure everyone across Africa has an opportunity to take
part."

Joseph Warungu, Editor of Network Africa, adds: "Network Africa has,
up until now, only been available on weekday mornings - now people can
tune in seven days a week.

"As well as covering breaking news on Saturday and Sunday mornings,
Network Africa will also be broadening its news agenda, embracing the
arts, taking a reflective look at the past week and involving
listeners in even more dialogue on what is happening in the
continent."

BBC English for Africa schedule changes are as follows:

Africa, Have Your Say, the hour-long interactive BBC radio and online
programme formerly known as Africa Live! will now increase from one
day a week to broadcast every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at
4.00pm GMT. Listeners who want to have their say on a broad range of
issues can do so by telephone: +44 20 7 836 1 836 text: +44 77 86 20
20 08 and email africa@xxxxxxxxxx

Fast Track is the African sports programme previously broadcast for
half an hour. Listeners can now enjoy 60 minutes of unrivalled sports
news and analysis from the continent and across the world on Mondays
and Fridays at 4.00pm GMT.

Network Africa, which sets the day's agenda with a popular mix of
news, sport, features and music, can now be heard at the weekends, in
addition to its weekday broadcasts. On a weekday listeners can hear
the programme at 3.30am, 4.30am, 5.30am, 6.30am and 7.30am GMT and on
Saturdays and Sundays at 4.00am and 6.00am GMT.