From: Richard Cuff <rdcuff@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sep 29, 2005 8:54 PM
Subject: Fwd: [WBEZ E-Update] Ira Glass Duels on Stage
To: rdcuff@xxxxxxxxx

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chicago Public Radio <listenerservices@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: richard@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:17:30 -0400
Subject: [WBEZ E-Update] Ira Glass Duels on Stage

 In This Issue
 New International Focus During Midday
 Radio vs. Theatre: Ira Dukes it Out
 Stories On Stage Special Event
 E-Update Exclusive: Dance Africa Ticket Give-away
 See Chicago Public Radio Folks Around Town

Hello Everyone,

This is a big issue of E-Update.  First, there are some midday program
schedule changes to tell you about.  Also, we have some great
opportunities to see our on-air personalities out in the community,
and a chance to win a pair of tickets to DanceAfrica.

Did I mention the Rumble at the Rhino?  See below for more!

Enjoy!

Wendy Turner
E-Update Editor
wturner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

New International Focus During Midday

Starting Monday, October 3, Chicago Public Radio's midday schedule
features two hours of international coverage.

Chicago Public Radio's flagship international news program, Worldview
with host Jerome McDonnell, starts a line up of global programming at
noon each weekday.  Then we go to the BBC at 1 pm for BBC Outlook,
with news and interviews from BBC correspondents around the world
creating a global conversation. And stay tuned at 1:45 pm for the
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's Out Front. CBC's Out Front
features real-life experiences, ideas and moments, as told by those
who live them. Out Front has been described as the CBC's answer to
This American Life.

Our early morning line-up is changing a bit too.  We're adding BBC
World Update at 4 am, followed by a brief stop at the morning desk
with Marketplace Morning Report at 4:50 am. Morning Edition begins at
5 am.

Here's what our VP of Programming Ron Jones, had to say about the
schedule change.  "Global events are increasingly part of daily
conversations in Chicago. Chicago Public Radio is uniquely poised to
inform and help listeners understand issues and events that shape our
world.  These programs were selected because they are a strong
complement to Worldview, our long-running midday international affairs
program, and they provide careful reportage of the people and cultures
that shape global affairs."

 >>Find out more about these changes and about the new programs.

Radio vs. Theater: The Final Smackdown

Radio vs. Theater: The Final Smackdown

Radio or Theater which is the superior storytelling medium?

Find out on Sunday, October 2 when Chicago Public Radio's Ira Glass
joins Beau O'Reilly, Chicago playwright, monologuist and master of the
theater arts on stage for a series of "dueling monologues."

Glass will sit at a mixing console with a microphone and pre-recorded
quotes and music, and perform stories in the style of This American
Life. O'Reilly will tell stories, embody characters, recreate moments
using his gifts of voice and movement and perhaps of song.

These titans last squared off against each other onstage at the
Steppenwolf Theatre in 1998 and the theater and radio worlds have not
been the same since.

Presented as part of the Rhino Theatre Festival.

Sunday, October 2 at 7 pm
School of the Art Institute Ballroom, 112 S. Michigan Ave.
$20 or pay what you can.

Tickets and information are at Curious Theatre Branch.

Stories on Stage Special Event October 5: Paris Review
 Join us Wednesday, October 5 at the Museum of Contemporary Art when
celebrated journalist Philip Gourevitch, newly named editor-in-chief
of The Paris Review, comes to Chicago to host a Stories on Stage
program featuring stories originally published in this pioneering
journal.

Some of Chicago's finest actors including Martha Lavey, Bradley Mott
and William Brown read stories from the new anthology, The Paris
Review Book of People with Problems, and the brand new Summer 2005
issue of the journal.   Q & A with Gourevitch follows the performance.

Wednesday, October 5 at 7:30 pm
Museum of Contemporary Art, 220 E. Chicago
Tickets: $15 for members of Chicago Public Radio or the MCA ($18 non-members)
MCA box office at 312.397.4010 or click here.

E-Update Exclusive: DanceAfrica Ticket Give-Away

Sankofa
Chicago Public Radio is pleased to be a sponsor of DanceAfrica Chicago
celebrating its 15th Anniversary by bringing together some of the best
dance companies and musicians that have performed throughout the
company's 15-year history.

This year's special production, "SANKOFA," features everything from
South African breakdancing to Ugandan flute troupes. The event takes
place at The Chicago Theatre, 175 State Street, October 21-23, 2005.

As an E-Update exclusive, Chicago Public Radio is giving away 3 pairs
of tickets to DanceAfrica 2005.

  Complete the information below. We'll draw 3 names on October 7 and
notify winners by E-mail.

*

First Name:

*

Last Name:

*

Email:

  Remember me. What's this?

>>Find out more information and how to purchase tickets.

See More Chicago Public Radio Folks Around Town

Blues Brunch Benefit: Billy Branch and Friends
Chicago Public Radio Producer Sylvia Ewing hosts this musical event,
taking place Sunday, October 2 at the Black Water Café in the Acme Art
Works Building.
World renowned harpist Billy Branch and his band provide a fulfilling
course of Blues and spoken word to guests at the Blues Brunch Benefit.
Branch is one of the founding fathers of the Blues in Schools
movement, connecting the Blues tradition to students since 1978. Avery
B. Young, a member of Chicago's Urban Griot Movement band, brings his
Hip-Hop poetry to the spoken word portion, with the help of poet and
Eight Forty-Eight contributor Kevin Coval.

Chicago Public Radio members receive $5 off tickets.
More information by calling Black Water Café, 1741 N. Western Ave. at
773.227.4126.

DanceAfrica Chicago Humanities Conference
On-air host and contributor, Richard Steele moderates "Is Chicago the
Center of the Black Arts in America?" discussion as part of the first
annual DanceAfrica Chicago Humanities Conference.  The conference
takes place at the University Center of Chicago, 525 S. State St., on
Saturday October 15.  The conference, integrating dialogue,
performance and theory, explores the state of black art and culture in
Chicago.
For more information, visit DanceAfrica.com.

Chicago Public Radio, 848 E. Grand Ave., Chicago, IL 60611
Listener Services: 312.948.4855 or ListenerServices@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 to Chicago Public Radio

Audio Pick:

 Garrison Keillor's Poetry to Make You Feel Good
 broadcast on Eight Forty-Eight 09.29.05

MemberCard Benefit of the Month

October Benefit of the Month:

SOFA CHICAGO
The International Expo of Sculpture Objects and Functional Art
Chicago's Navy Pier600 East Grand Avenue, 773.506.8860
Valid for 2-for-1 admission to choice of opening night "First Choice Preview" on
October 27 ($25 value) or general admission October 28-30 ($12 value).

Present card at will call the day of the show to purchase tickets; no
phone orders accepted.

    >>Get the latest MemberCard updates!

     >>Don't have a MemberCard? Get one here.

  Another MemberCard Opportunity...
  Festival of Films from Iran
  Chicago Public Radio pleased to be a media Sponsor for the 16th
Annual Festival of Films from Iran.
  October 1 November 2, 2005
  Produced by the Gene Siskel Film Center.
  Visit the Gene Siskel Film Center Web site for information.

Volunteer for the Fall Pledge Drive

We need your help October 26-November 4.  Be the friendly voice of
Chicago Public Radio as a phone bank volunteer during our upcoming
pledge drive!

>>Learn more

Live at the Bank One Auditorium
Thursdays at 7:30 pm