From: Ori Siegel <ori.siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sep 11, 2005 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: [ODXA] CBC Strike
To: odxa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Kevin R. asked:

-----to which Harold Sellers replied:
> Sure is and there doesn't appear to be much movement between the two
> sides.

Actually, there is no one at CBC on strike, nor has there been for several
years.  The 5500 employees who are members of the Canadian Media Guild were
LOCKED OUT on August 15.  There is a big difference.  A strike occurs when a
bargaining unit withdraws its members from the workplace to protest lack of
results in negotiations.  A lockout occurs when the management of a company
closes its doors to its employees when they don't really want to bargain at
all.  Good union answer, eh?

It is foolish to believe that the lockout was anything but a calculated
action by the CBC - we knew last winter the precise day we'd be on the
street.  We also had (have) a pretty good idea for how long.  The feeling is
that the CBC will want us back in time to get Hockey Night In Canada up and
running.  Personally, I don't care any more because this is the third time
I've been on the street in six years and I no longer feel any loyalty to my
workplace.  When we go back, from that moment until my retirement, it will
be a paycheck and nothing more.  Don't even think of asking me for a tour
because I'll just say no.

You may wish to log on to www.cmgtoronto.ca and follow some of the links to,
for example CMG on the line and CBC unplugged for information from the line.
To establish a fair practice, you may also wish to log on to www.cbc.ca for
their version of reality.  You'll love the one about how CBC's loyal
audience will all return to us when this is resolved.  Uh-huh.  But I'll
refrain from further editorial comment.

PO'ed but keeping busy,
Ori
VA3XW