Re: [Swprograms] Katrina

So from what I gather, what needs to happen is that amateurs need to
embed themselves in local emergency preparedness operations so they
can work alongside the officials.  As I recall this is what Victor
Goonetilleke did so effectively in Sri Lanka last December.

Do local amateur radio clubs do this?  It would seem the Katrina
disaster would open a window of opportunity for local hams to approach
their state and local emergency preparedness agencies and lobby to be
included in the process.

I will leave the argument as to the protocol (CW, phone, packet,
psk31, whatever) to others.

There was a very interesting article in the Wall Street Journal last
Monday (I think) that detailed the communications challenges faced by
New Orleans political leaders.

They managed to communicate in the early going primarily via Vonage
Internet-based telephony using equipment "borrowed" from Office Depot
in the early hours of the storm.

There was no mention of the role of amateur communications in any
aspect of this article -- computer hobbyists (today's hams?) played a
bigger role..

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA