[Swprograms] CBC programming notes (WITH BONUS: Slight ranting)

[Swprograms] CBC programming notes (WITH BONUS: Slight ranting)

Just went through a new set of CBC lockout skeds for the coming week and noticed
a few changes. (Some of the radio shows might end up on RCI. Who knows!)

=== CBC RADIO* ===
- C'est La Vie and Next have switched places on Friday
CLV now on at its regular time, 11:30 a.m., while Next is on at 11 a.m.
(This would normally be the start of a new season, so I wonder if this will be a
new CLV program coming from Montreal, which is not affected by the lockout.)
- Body & Soul, Saturday, 9-9:30 a.m.
(I don't recognize the title of this series.)
- Madly Off in All Directions, Saturday, 11 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Fuse, Saturday, 5-6 p.m.
- À Propos, 9-10 p.m.
(Again, I wonder if this will be a "fresh" program from Montreal.)
- 7 Deadly Sins, Sunday, 11-11:30 a.m.
- Real Life Chronicles, 11:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
(I don't recognize the title of this series.)
- Bunny Watson, 4-5 p.m.
(This is an earlier time slot.)
- BBC Masterpiece/Music Feature, 6-7 p.m.
(These shows disappeared for one week, but returned on Sept. 4.)
- Jazz Beat, 7-9 p.m.
(No time change, but again, I wonder if this will be a "fresh" program from
Montreal.)

=== CBC RADIO TWO ===
No change -- there is only continuous classical music here.
(I wonder what happened to Brave New Waves. This is a Montreal-produced program
that featured alternative music, weeknights from midnight to 4 a.m.)

=== CBC TELEVISION/NEWSWORLD ===
- The schedule says there will be 30 minutes of CBC News** weekdays on CBC-TV at
10 p.m. local and on CBC Newsworld at 9 p.m. and midnight ET. Until now, it was
a 10- to 12-minute CBC program inserted before 30 minutes of BBC World. I
haven't had the chance to see this extended program yet. (They had enough
trouble filling 10 minutes.)
- The CBC "September Documentary Festival" seems to be going on as scheduled,
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday night at 8. This has been heavily
promoed since before the lockout began.
- A movie called "Biloxi Blues" -- oh, what timing -- is scheduled for Saturday
night at 11.

* Except for one newscast/weather update when I wake up, I have not been
listening to ANYTHING on CBC English Radio since the lockout began, so these
observations are purely schedule-based and not from my listening.
I have not found a pleasing commercial alternative to CBC Radio and am content
listening to audio material coming from locked-out workers over the Internet.
(I will listen to some CBC Montreal programs, seeing how they aren't "soiled" by
industrial action. I have also found the direct relay of CBF Montreal on the
local Radio-Canada station in Calgary to be something of a cure for my
homesickness.)

** It really should be called "The Sorry Excuse of a Television Newscast
Broadcast in Place of the Real CBC News." If you've seen the shows CBC managers
have been putting out recently, you'll know what I mean. Bad lighting, bad
sound, bad graphics, mediocre presentation, poor story selection ... you get the
picture. I watch it now and again out of curiosity. The private broadcasters are
really cleaning the CBC's chronometres -- just as it should be.