Re: [Swprograms] More on Sirius in Canada

Re: [Swprograms] More on Sirius in Canada

> Agreed!
> OTOH, 39% do feel "inconvenience".  That's at least a significant
> minority.  CNN or Fox News should be so lucky!  :-))
> jaf
>
> On Aug 31, 2005, at 12:07 AM, Richard Cuff wrote:
> > I also hesitated posting an article in the Globe & Mail that says
> > that 61% of Canadians have not been inconvenienced by the CBC
> > lockout.  The union harrumped about the study, but the findings
> > make me somewhat nervous.  At first glance, the fact that a
> > majority of Canadians are indifferent about the CBC's situation
> > suggests that the CBC isn't relevant to most Canadians.  However an
> > alternative perspective is that the CBC shouldn't be trying to
> > serve the majority.  They have commerical radio.  It is this issue
> > of what constituency public broadcasters should serve that has me
> > scratching my head.

	But that is the general, fractured market and
	mainly the loss of CBC TV.
	People feel and are loud about the loss of
	CBC Radio.
	You could see the discussions of radio ratings
	and formats at news:alt.radio.networks.cbc

	Or digest the numbers in the tables below
	(I appended a bit of the radio-mit-pictures)
	so that you can see the differences and
	sameness of English-language radio formats and
	what Sirius/XM would bring to Canada.
See
Tables  Percentage share of radio listening by format by
audience category- Fall 2004. Formats, demographics,
http://www.statcan.ca:80/english/freepub/87F0007XIE/2004001/data.htm

Much the same at
   Linkname: The CRTC releases its annual Broadcasting Policy Monitoring
          Report
Radio
     * Canadians have access to 1,158 radio services, of which 867 are in
       English, 253 are in French, and 38 are in third languages.
     * In 2004, Canadians listened to radio an average of 19.5 hours per
       week, which represents the same number of hours as in 2003.
     * Revenues for Canadian private radio stations exceeded $1.2 billion
       in 2004, and profits before interest and tax came in at $224
       million.
     * Since the adoption of the CRTC's commercial radio policy in 1998,
       Canadian radio stations have spent more than $156 million on
       Canadian talent development.

   Linkname: The Daily, Friday, July 8, 2005. Radio listening

  ============================-for Television
Go to www.statcan.ca  > English > Search
		Type in
			Television
			           and find
		ratings or the financial considerations of
		Canadian stations (Why would they care
		or collected data from U.S. stations?)
such as
  http://www.statcan.ca:80/english/freepub/87F0006XIE/2005001/data.htm
2003 - Television viewing: data tables
These tables provide information on the television viewing habits of
Canadians by demographic characteristics of survey respondents, by
province, by origin and type of program, and origin of station.

--------------- a recent TV ratings at
http://www.popjournalism.com/pop/features/2005/00176ratings.shtml

  Note that Canadian private stations will have U.S. programmes at the
  same time as U.S. stations, and the CRTC rules that the U.S. feed of
  that program must be substituted by the Canadian feed (with the Canadian
  advertizements), in the Canadian cable feed to homes.

  While there are several border stations who can be received by
  terrestrial antennas, most of Canada (85 percent) has cable feeds
  with a basic 20 channels, some of them moved from UHF down to VHF to
  make the basic cable more Canadian, and dozens more on the UHF cable
  bands

  A good explanation and survey at the Wiki
  	   Linkname: Television in Canada - Wikipedia,
       Last Mod: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 04:22:40 GMT
       size: 589 lines,
  if you don't go to the general historical overviews at
	www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com