[Swprograms] Radio Japan This Week

Some upcoming programming information for Radio Japan NHK World,
drawn from NHK's weekly e-mail newsletter:

((((( JAPAN AND THE WORLD 44 MINUTES )))))

Summer Special: "Coral Reefs Warn Us".

Our three-part series Summer Special features reports from Iriomote
Island  in Okinawa known for its beautiful coral reefs.  The reefs
warn us how the  eco-system of the tropical island and surrounding
sea is in danger.

  Aug.15,Mon.
  *Coral Reefs in Danger - Report from Iriomote Island

   Part of coral reefs in Iriomote was reported dead in 1998 due to the
   global warming. We report how the reefs are recovering from the
damage
   and what role they play in the oceanic eco-system.

  Aug.16,Tue.
  *Coral Reefs Help Support the Earth

   Coral reefs in Iriomote are not only beautiful - They play a
significant
   role in preserving the environment by absorbing CO2, protecting the
   coastline from typhoons and erosions, and providing home to various
   creatures. Our program also features Japan's efforts to preserve
the reef.

  Aug.17,Wed.
  *Coral Reefs and Mangroves Help Protect the Coastline

   Iriomote Island's coastline is rich in plants, such as long
leafed, tall
   stilted and red mangroves. Mangroves live in a kind of symbiosis with
   coral reefs, and together they help preserve the eco-system on the
   continental shelf. Our program features how they reduce the damage of
   tsunami to the coastline, and stresses the need to preserve the
mangrove
   forests.

  Aug.18,Thu.
  *Town Learning from Tsunami Disaster

  Aug.19,Fri.
  *Conservation of Blessing of Mt.Fuji & Black Current

((((( WEEKEND JAPANOLOGY )))))

Aug.20,Sat.

   "The Selection of Out & About Reports"

   In the next two editions of Weekend Japanology, we'll have the best
   selection from our "Out & About" segment. The reporters, Judit and
Andrew
   will join us in studio to talk in details about the selected reports.

   "Getting Close to Japan's Traditions"
    Namahage
    Karuta - card game
    Daikagura - traditional performing arts

   Program Homepage ->
   http://www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/japanology_e.html

((((( MUSIC BEAT )))))

Aug.19,Fri.
  *Radio Japan Jazz Special (2)

   NHK will host an annual festival of jazz giants from Japan and
abroad,
   "Tokyo Jazz 2005," this month. The special edition of Music Beat
features
   Japanese jazz artists who made headlines in the first six months
of 2005,
   with the focus on those taking part in the upcoming festival.

Time and Frequency information:
<http://www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/radioguide_e.html>

Enjoy!
John Figliozzi