Re: [Swprograms] Why Researchers Should Be Gelded

Re: [Swprograms] Why Researchers Should Be Gelded

I don't see how Twain's comment adds to this debate.
It's based on mathematical ignorance.

The surveys are using two different statistical
methods of looking at the issue, projections would
always be less reliable. With satellite radio you only
have a few years figures with which to construct your
regression line or curve and, as the researchers
admit, you can't build into that the effect of other
technologies.

I looked up the population of the United States which
is  295,734,134. Could be more appropriate for the
study to think of households in the United States so
halve that?

On the Eastlan sample size of 2512 the study does not
reveal 80% of Americans are not interested in
satellite radio, what the published research would
tell you if you could ever get to see it would more
likely be a figure of between 75% and 85%

Take between 15% and 25% of 150 million households and
you come up with 22.5 to 37.5 million households with
some interest in satellite radio, make an assumption
that by 2014 that will have increased through more
people becoming aware of the benefits of satellite
radio and the two studies do not seem too incompatible
though having done years of marking student's real
life projects on regression I would content the first
survey is the more realistic one.

Mike