Re: [Swprograms] Sat Radio to Debut 10/1 in Canada?

Re: [Swprograms] Sat Radio to Debut 10/1 in Canada?

> This of course assumes that the appeals to the Federal
> Cabinet in Ottawa will fail.  I am just back from two weeks
> in Canada and read a couple of local news stories which
> were enthusiastic about the launch of sattelite radio.

	and of course they expect a lot of advertising.
	However the existing radio market is so splintered
	that few radio stations want to see more ears
	captured.

	Jack and Bob formats invaded the U.S. (see NYT for
	17 July 2005)
   Linkname: Jack and Bob and Hank and Ben: Meet Radio's Hottest Nonentities

	but they don't want the U.S., such as they are, taking
	ears away from them.

	The appeal to cabinet (ministers) is:
    "TORONTO, July 12 /CNW/ - CHUM Limited and Astral Media
    Inc joined by Radio 1540 Limited (CHIN Radio Television
    International), CJRT-FM Inc.  (Jazz.FM91), Fairchild
    Radio Group Ltd., O.K. Radio Group Ltd., Newcap Inc.,
    Larche Communications Inc., Aboriginal Voices Radio
    Inc., Rock 95 Broadcasting Ltd., Evanov Radio Group
    Inc. and Radio-Nord Communications Inc. announced today
    the filing of a Notice to Appeal to the Governor in
    Council to set aside Decision CRTC 2005-246 and
    Decision CRTC 2005-247 (the "Decisions") in which the
    Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications
    Commission (the CRTC) granted licences to operate
    satellite subscription radio undertakings to Canadian
    Satellite Radio Inc. and SIRIUS Canada Inc.
	There might be an election, no cabinet, in the fall
	anyways with the minority government.
	  It is not expected that the appeal will succeed.

	See also

	the recent CRTC/Heritage/StatsCanada analysis of
    the present radio market
	  Linkname: The Daily, Friday, July 8, 2005. Radio listening
	They only made 8 percent increase in sales last year.
	U.S. Stations are only only 4 percent in two provinces,
	but could grow and certainly satellite radio would put
	it in range of more Canadian cities.

> Sandy

	Best Buy owns Future Shop.  They just haven't rebranded
	the stores, in fact are opening parallel stores.  They
	may rebrand but sales are slumping, compared with the U.S.
	and they don't know why.
	We all know that Future Shop, formerly owned by a shifty
	person, is renowned for junk, bait-and-switch, pushy
	salespersons, etc. all similar to the reputation of Best Buy.