[Swprograms] UK- Ofcom Chief Executive enthusiastic over DAB/DRM chipset

[Swprograms] UK- Ofcom Chief Executive enthusiastic over DAB/DRM chipset

UK: Ofcom Chief Executive enthusiastic over DAB/DRM
chipset

In the Guardian Lecture to the Radio Festival in
Edinburgh, the Chief Executive of UK media regulator
Ofcom expressed enthusiasm for the development of
combined DAB/DRM chipsets. Stephen A Carter said in
his speech:

"The fact that manufacturers are now talking seriously
of a combined chip that offers both DAB and the
Digital Radio Mondiale standard, is good news. DRM is
a complementary technology. And combined DAB/DRM sets
in volume production could well assist the universal
adoption of digital radio. How? It could overcome the
economic hurdle facing the smaller stations making the
transition to digital since DRM can be allocated on a
single channel rather than single multiplex basis.

"We are already working with Chris Smith?s Digital
Radio Development Bureau's task force to explore
possible routes to an all digital future, including
for smaller stations.

"So if industry shares our analysis, we will look
towards releasing some of the currently under-used
shortwave or, even better, mediumwave spectrum to
enable such combined DAB/DRM chip radio sets; and work
with our European partners to provide the clarity of
direction, Europe-wide, to give the chip manufacturers
the certainty to manufacture in volume and hence at
low-cost."

(Media Network)