From: Timothy Karr, Campaign Director <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jun 24, 2005 2:19 PM
Subject: Your calls and letters made the difference. Thank You.
To: rdcuff@xxxxxxxxx

 Dear Richard Cuff:

 Yesterday, the House voted overwhelmingly -- by a margin of 284 to
140 -- to restore $100 million to the budget for public broadcasting.

Representatives reversed course because their phones were ringing off
the hook and their mailboxes were jammed with letters and e-mails from
millions of Americans. Your message came through loud and clear: Stop
playing politics with public broadcasting.

We scored a stunning victory -- but public broadcasting isn't safe
yet. The legislation now moves to the Senate, where Free Press and our
allies are working to win back more than $100 million (for children's
programming and satellite and digital upgrades) stripped away by
partisan operatives on the House Appropriations Committee. We must
keep up the pressure on Capitol Hill.

Here's how you can help:

1. Mobilize others. for the next fight to restore funding in the
Senate. Recruit five of your friends to sign up as Free Press
activists.

2. Go local. We're planning a series of house parties and town
meetings this summer and fall to put the public back in public
broadcasting. But we need your help. Join the Free Press Action Squad
and we'll be in touch with more information on how to get directly
involved in your community.

3. Support the Free Press Action Fund. Your donation will support the
campaign to save public broadcasting today and build a noncommercial
media system that serves Americans for generations to come.

We should savor this victory today but steel ourselves for the fight ahead.

Onward,

Timothy Karr
 Campaign Director
 Free Press
 www.freepress.net

P.S. -- Every silver lining has a cloud. In a brazenly partisan
maneuver, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting yesterday tapped
Patricia Harrison, former chairwoman of the Republican National
Committee, as its next president. This is just the latest in CPB
Chairman Kenneth Tomlinson's efforts to remake public broadcasting
into a mouthpiece for the White House.

P.P.S. -- Nearly 100,000 people have signed our petition calling on
Tomlinson to resign. We need 100,000 more signatures. Please forward
this message to everyone you know and ask them to add their names.