Re: [Swprograms] Satellite approved with strong CanCon rules

Re: [Swprograms] Satellite approved with strong CanCon rules

So, doing some quick math...  Sirius had proposed five new Canadian
channels--

CBC Radio One and Premiere Chaine, as spoken word--one in English, one
in French. Presumably these are both almost 100% Canadian content.
CBC Radio 3 and Bandeapart FM, as music--one in English, one in
French, each had promised more than 50% Canadian content and 80%
music.
Canadian Wave in English with 100% Canadian music content.

The 25% French content has been achieved.  Even if the additional
three new channels required to meet the 8 channel minimum were all in
English, the threshold will be met.

The 85% Canadian content requirement appears to be met or is very well
within reach already with the current five channels as
proposed/configured.

If Standard added a French/Quebecois version of its proposed Canadian
Wave service and CBC added Radio Two and its French counterpart, the 8
channel requirement would be met as would all the parameters set by
the CRTC for music and for Canadian and French content.

Of course, we've yet to hear the CBC's and Sirius' reaction.  I also
think the XM entry might have a more difficult time meeting the CRTC's
parametere.  And then there's always an appeal to Cabinet as an option.

John Figliozzi