Re: [Swprograms] CPB meddling

Yeah, Moyers became the whipping boy of the week for the right wingers.

Watched his program "Now" and lots of his documentaries/reports over
the years.  Seems to me he reports facts and does so in a calm,
analytical way.  As I recall, he frequently interviewed conservatives
and libertarians.  He even had Grover Norquist on that program.  So,
the complaints registered against him were/are a canard, in my view.
Just another in a long line of attempts to discredit and silence those
who would dare to disagree.

Facts can be damned inconvenient for those with an axe to grind. Facts
are truths.  They speak for themselves.  They can't be massaged as in
edited, analyzed or reported in some way to make them something they're
not UNLESS someone practices misrepresentation in some form.  At that
point, they cease to become facts or the truth.  It's simple logic
theory.  If I combine a truth with a falsehood, the whole statement
becomes false.  If I report that which only supports my preconceptions
and ignore that which does not, I am no longer being factual or
truthful.  I may be practicing the art of debating; but if I choose to
ignore an inconvenient fact, my whole argument collapses as a building
would if its foundation is eroded.

There's nothing wrong with analysis or editing as long as I take care
to present all that is factual.  I do not need to report what is not
factual in the interest of balance.  Sometimes there aren't two sides
to a story.  Sometimes there's far more than two....and sometimes
there's only one side.  The media today likes to say it is being
balanced.  But when it reports nonsense or misrepresentation without
comment or rigorous analysis....the "he said, she said" stuff.... it
performs a disservice for us all.

It seems to me that this is what the complainers want.  They want
"their side" reported even if rigorous analysis demonstrates that it
makes no sense.  They want each argument to be given parity.  Many in
the news business are doing this today.  What's missing from their
reporting is--indeed, Richard--the analysis that will produce a
result---namely, that which is truly factual and that which is not.

John Figliozzi