Re: [Swprograms] BBC E-mail: World Service soap Westway axed

As I said, different masters now.

-----Original Message-----
From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Figliozzi
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 11:43 PM
To: Shortwave programming discussion
Cc: dxld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] BBC E-mail: World Service soap Westway axed

Never one of my personal favorites, but the article points out why it
is to many across the globe and why it was important.

So let me get this straight.  There was nothing deemed wrong with the
quality of the program.  And it was evidently quite popular.  So, of
course, it should be axed!  Given the "logic" pursued rather
relentlessly by BBCWS management of late, this reasoning is perfectly
consistent!

And while you might think I'm just being sarcastic, I am.  But I'm also
being factual.

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY

PS:  Somewhere along the line in the various BBC-related threads the
past few weeks, someone commented that if the BBC truly wanted to same
some scratch, it really ought to scrap one of its worst decisions from
the past decade....that being the seven (or is it nine?) program
streams which, with the exception of the Africa streams, just broadcast
the same programs but at slightly different times.  I wholeheartedly
concur and have been saying this from almost the beginning of this
addled idea. Given the stripped down version(s) of the BBC we have
today (in comparison to even the recent past) and the apparent plans on
the drawing board in 2006 to strip it down further, all that's really
needed is a worldwide stream and an African stream.  Even an all-news
stream won't be necessary any longer because that will be the natural
state of the new BBCWS in 2006 apparently!

As someone in Monty Python once said,  "What a stupid concert."

On Apr 1, 2005, at 5:12 PM, Richard Cuff wrote:

> Richard Cuff saw this story on BBC News Online and thought you
> should see it.
>
> ** Message **
>> From the BBCWS themselves...
>
> Richard Cuff
>
> ** World Service soap Westway axed **
> BBC World Service radio soap opera Westway, heard by millions of
> people worldwide, is to be axed.
> <
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/
> 4400735.stm >
>

> ** BBC Daily E-mail **
> Choose the news and sport headlines you want - when you want them, all
> in one daily e-mail
> < http://www.bbc.co.uk/dailyemail/ >
>

> ** Disclaimer **
> The BBC is not responsible for the content of this
> e-mail, and anything said in this e-mail does not necessarily reflect
> the BBC's views.
>
> If you don't wish to receive such mails in the future, please e-mail
> webmasters@xxxxxxxxx making sure you include the following text: I do
> not want to receive "E-mail a friend" mailings.

> URL shown above.

shown above.