Re: [Swprograms] Sangford Unger on the VOA's status

Then again, your government doesn't prohibit domestic broadcasting.

-----Original Message-----
From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Barraclough
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 3:22 PM
To: swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] Sangford Unger on the VOA's status

>On Mar 31, 2005, at 11:27 PM, Scott Royall wrote:
>
>> Very interesting. I suspect that much of this article could be applied
>> the BBC. They don't have the same legal restrictions as the VOA, but
>> I'd bet
>> the BBCWS has an equally small domestic following.
>>

>John Figliozzi <jfiglio1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> Not so sure about that, Scott.  The WS is carried overnight
> domestically by Radio 4 and 648 kHz. MW (main WS MW frequency for
> northwest Europe) is well heard throughout much of the British Isles.
> When the "Save BBC World Service" campaign was in full swing a few
> years ago, many UK residents wrote in messages of support and the
> British newspapers regularly carried letters from their readers
> commenting on WS policy.

BBC World Service can also be heard in the UK 24 hours on the national BBC
DAB multiplex, on analogue and digital cable radio and on both the Freeview
and Sky TV digital TV platforms.

The latest audience figures I have show that 1,273,000 adults (15+) in the
UK listen each week, a 3% reach, average listener hours are 4.7 giving it a
0.6% audience share.

Mike

shown above.