[Swprograms] Re: RAIN; BBC opens up radio player for domestic listening

[Swprograms] Re: RAIN; BBC opens up radio player for domestic listening

	and some programs that appeared on the BBCWS

----- Forwarded message from say@xxxxxx -----
Subject: Guardian | Internet saved the radio star

   Internet saved the radio star

   As web radio surges in popularity thanks to broadband, the BBC has
   decided to relaunch its pioneering Radio Player software. Bobbie
   Johnson reports

   Bobbie Johnson
   Thursday January 27, 2005 Guardian (London UK)

   When one-hit wonders Buggles launched MTV by declaring that "video
   killed the radio star", it looked like an inevitable, if gloomy,
   prediction. Back then, Microsoft was still in short pants and Usenet
   had just been born. But 25 years later, online radio is one of the
   web's success stories, enjoying huge growth as the number of
   high-speed connections increases.

   To make the most of the surge, the BBC this week relaunched its
   pioneering Radio Player software, an innovative way of presenting the
   corporation's radio output as audio on demand. The BBC says it serves
   up more than 10m hours of radio a month over the internet, and will be
   hoping to give that a significant boost.

   "The liberation from BBC radio going on-demand has been enormous,"
   says Simon Nelson, the BBC controller of radio and music interactive.
   "When the original radio player launched two-and-a-half years ago, we
   knew it would be a success, but it has surprised us."

   The rejigged system will still allow streaming of BBC radio shows that
   are less than seven days old, but it has added about 500 hours of
   extra programming every week to cover 95% of all BBC national radio
   output and adds several layers of interactivity. As before, you must
   still download Real Player to be able to listen.

   "Radio Player has made a huge impact for me," says DJ Pete Tong, whose
   Radio 1 dance music shows The Essential Selection and The Essential
   Mix last month picked up more than 300,000 listeners online. "The
   Listen Again option is a double whammy: people can use it if they are
   too busy or if they liked something and want to hear it again. My show
   gets picked up and played to audiences on local radio stations all
   around the world, but from the personal feedback I get, I'd say 95% of
   the real connection all comes from online."

   One of the most useful tweaks is the ability to stop a show at any
   time and then return to the same point next time - even if you have
   turned off your machine. Other features include deeper content, more
   genre-based browsing and a "Like this? Why not try these?" feature
   that will be familiar to many web shoppers.

   As more people become technologically competent, and the number of
   broadband users increases, internet radio will continue to reap the
   benefits. Not only can it play the same role as traditional audio
   broadcasting - operating in the background in homes and offices - but
   with the ongoing integration of computers and home entertainment
   systems, users are finding new ways to explore an old medium.

   "What's driving it is the choice you're giving the listener," says
   Richard Jones of Last.fm ([4]www.last.fm), which provides tailor-made
   online radio according to your tastes. The more you listen to Last.fm,
   the more it learns about the music you like - and then plays tracks it
   thinks you might enjoy. "Online radio is interactive, not just a
   broadcast medium. You can give people lots of information - track
   listings and album covers, for example. It's more of a multimedia
   experience."

   With its large budget and public service remit, the BBC continues to
   be one of radio's innovators, and last year found a way forward when
   it ran a podcasting experiment. The trial, which allowed listeners to
   download MP3 files of Melvyn Bragg's Radio 4 show In Our Time to
   listen to at their leisure, was taken up by more than 70,000 users. It
   could point the way forward for many shows.

   "Podcasting is really close to what I'm about," says Tong. "It makes
   sense. And now I don't bother with trainspotter-ish lists of what I've
   played any more, I can just direct people to the web."

   The real problem with downloading, as opposed to streaming, is the
   murky waters of copyright. Some speech programming, and most music
   shows, have to agree how to placate those who would probably prefer
   some kind of digital rights mechanism. "The most high-profile omission
   [from Radio Player] is Desert Island Discs, where we're negotiating
   the rights," says Nelson. "I don't blame them for holding back because
   the internet seems an uncertain and turbulent situation."

   Even so, the large amount of material produced within the BBC means it
   is able to set a standard for on-demand media. The Radio Player team
   is "passing on the lessons" to those working on the BBC's iMP, an
   interactive media player that will do for TV what the corporation has
   already done for audio.

   "I'm really excited with what the BBC are doing," says Last.fm's
   Jones. "But I'd like to see a little bit more feedback and interaction
   - pages that showed you weekly statistics on what different DJs are
   playing. The BBC are in a unique position: they can afford to
   innovate, in fact they probably have to."

   Links

   BBC Radio Player [5]www.bbc.co.uk/radioplayer

           Guardian Unlimited ? Guardian Newspapers Limited 2005