[Swprograms] Int'l Radio Report 2005-01-16

[Swprograms] Int'l Radio Report 2005-01-16

Hello all,
The International Radio Report has been uploaded onto our archive site:
http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport
73 and happy listening,
Ricky

-----[ MAIN PAGE ]-----
http://http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport

-----[ STREAMING AUDIO FILES (left click) ]-----
(LO) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-050116-8kps.ram
(HI) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-050116-16kps.ram

-----[ DOWNLOAD AUDIO FILES (right-click, save link/target as) ]-----
(LO) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-050116-8kps.rm
(HI) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-050116-16kps.rm

-----[ THIS WEEK'S TEXT-ONLY SUMMARY ]-----
http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport/summaries/2005-01-16.html

-----[ ARCHIVE OF TEXT-ONLY SUMMARIES ]-----
http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport/summaries

=====[ IN THIS WEEK'S PROGRAM ]=====

Special guest: Steven Jones, ex-CKUT radio host

- - HBO to present Left of the Dial, looking at the rise of Air America

- Self-taught meteorologist on WNAW-AM and WNNB-FM in Massachussetts fired, replaced with tapes broadcast
> Listener uproar brings George Trottier, 65, back on Jan. 24
> Was paid $300 a month to provide three reports daily
> One of many reports: http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=62545

- CQ Amateur Radio Magazine celebrates 60th birthday this month

- Arabic-music pirate creating interference with airport information station on 89.7 FM

- CBC tsunami-relief radiothon/telethon on Thursday raises more than $4 million
> Presented in CBC TV and radio and on numerous private radio and TV stations

- 260 British radio stations doing its own fundraising tomorrow
> On the air from 0600 to 1800 UTC
> www.ukradioaid.com

- Amateur radio operators are proving to be essential during south Asian tsunami crisis

- Commercial radio in Australia banding together to rebuild station in devastation zone
> http://www.abu.org.my/public/index.cfm

- NHK Japan to hold workshop for broadcasters

- From Radio HF Newsletter (www.radiohf.ca):

> Niagara Peninsula Amateur Club in St. Catharines, Ont.
> 27th annual "Big Event"
> va3boz@xxxxxx,  (905) 680-6303, www.nparc.on.ca

- Burlington, ON
> Ken Robinson (905) 637 0772
> www.barc.ca

- CKUT 3rd annual Homelessness Marathon
> Feb. 14, 5 p.m. until 7 a.m. next morning
> Repeated on many other Canadian radio stations
> http://www.ckut.ca/homeless.html

- CKUT also looking for volunteers at various shows
> (514) 398-6787

-30-