[Swprograms] Int'l Radio Report 2004-12-12

[Swprograms] Int'l Radio Report 2004-12-12

Hello all,
The International Radio Report has been uploaded onto our archive site.
Regards and happy listening,
Ricky

-----[ MAIN PAGE ]-----
http://members.fortunecity.com/crazyaboutradio

-----[ STREAMING AUDIO FILES (left click) ]-----
(LO) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-041212-8kps.ram
(HI) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-041212-16kps.ram

-----[ DOWNLOAD AUDIO FILES (right-click, save link/target as) ]-----
(LO) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-041212-8kps.rm
(HI) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-041212-16kps.rm

-----[ THIS WEEK'S TEXT-ONLY SUMMARY ]-----
http://members.fortunecity.com/crazyaboutradio/2004-12-12.html

-----[ ARCHIVE OF TEXT-ONLY SUMMARIES ]-----
http://members.fortunecity.com/crazyaboutradio/all.html

=====[ IN THIS WEEK'S PROGRAM ]=====

- Oldies on AM is dying
> WSAI 1530 AM switching to Air America

- Winter E-skip season starting up

- Meteor-skip also reported (currently the peak of the Gemenids)
> Calif. station on 90.9 MHz reported in Detroit

- HOT 89.9 in Ottawa offers listeners their "Breast Christmas Ever"
> Offers breast augmentation as a prize for a contest

- ClearChannel has been restricting AM bandwidth to 5 kHz
> Sideband splatter reduced on WLIB 1190 from WHAM 1180
> Some people upset at the change, but most receivers don't have wideband AM
> Engineers able to pump up modulation instead of wasting power on the sidebands

- DXTuners (aka Java Radio) has new sites:
> Indonesia, Hungary, New Orleans, FM DX locations
> Looks like a receiver control panel right on your screen
> www.dxtuners.com

- Montreal Amateur Radio Club ham radio course begins on Jan. 15
> Sign up before Dec. 18
> Cost: $100; Exam is April 2, supplemental April 19
> ve2@xxxxxx -- (514) 697-7205

- Ex-Monkee Micky Dolenz new morning host of WCBS FM
> Listeners raved about his guest appearance in October

- Molly McNeill leaving 940 News, heading off to non-broadcast job in Ottawa

- BBC cutting almost 3,000 jobs over the next few years
> That'S 10 per cent of workforce

- Arizona radio host Ian P. Martin arrested for beating of cab driver
> Works for KNML 610 "Sports Animal"

-30-