To: <swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 10:13 AM
Subject: [Swprograms] OT: FCC Issues BPL Rules

Bad news.

The FCC issued its long-awaited BPL rules today. There is no specific protection for shortwave broadcasting or amateur radio. All the commissioners paid lip service to protecting licensed services but none of their personal statements even mentioned the potential interference to shortwave broadcasting. All expressed worry about protecting amateur radio but trusted the FCC would act to mitigate interference cases when the need arises.

Geographic zones around coast guard and radio astronomy facilities were defined to prohibit BPL on certain frequencies within the zones.

So far the report by the FCC engineering folks has not appeared on the FCC web site. I will post a link to the report when I find it.