[Swprograms] OT: WSJ article on digital radio in the USA

[Swprograms] OT: WSJ article on digital radio in the USA

Clear Channel, Cox and Entercom say they'll convert their stations to digital by 2008.

Interestingly, nowhere in the article did the term "IBOC" appear -- always just "digital radio".

The report does have at least one technical error -- quoting from the article, " Digital radio is common overseas, but was delayed here until the broadcast industry could come up with a signal that could be squeezed into the U.S.'s more-crowded radio spectrum. "

Not exactly correct -- I would say that, based on channel spacing and field strength, Western Europe is much more crowded than the USA.  However, we in the USA held fast to the IBOC mode versus the DAB mode.

Interesting that this article appeared the same day as the hubbub surrounding Howard Stern.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA