[Swprograms] Int'l Radio Report 2004-07-25

[Swprograms] Int'l Radio Report 2004-07-25

Hello all,
The International Radio Report has been uploaded onto our archive site:
MAIN PAGE http://members.fortunecity.com/crazyaboutradio
There is a currently FortuneCity outage, so the summary will magically appear later...
TEXT ONLY SUMMARIES http://members.fortunecity.com/crazyaboutradio/all.html
...but I'll include it in this e-mail as well.

THIS WEEK: Hosts Janice and Steve Karlock go hunting for a pirate radio station heard broadcasting non-stop Arabic music on 107.7 MHz...

(Program summary, 2004-07-25)

- CBME-1-FM, new CBC Radio One translator at Sherbrooke and Cavendish
> Testing with 98 watts at 97.6 metres (height above ground or average terrain?)
> Complaints of bad reception in parts of NDG, Montreal West
> Station heard as far as Hawkesbury, Ont. (!)

- 107.7 FM pirate Arabic station heard on West Island
> Impression it was beamed off a satellite music service
> No announcements, no IDs
> Signal strongest along Rivière des Prairies
> Site appears to have been found at a house in Laval

- RealWeather USA, new program in U.S.
> WPRO 630 kHz will be flagship station
> Weather in relation to people's activities

- CKZW: Proposed station for gospel on 650 kHz with 10,000 watts
> Group will run special-event station on 106.3 MHz from Aug. 12 to 15
> Should proposal get approved, station will have to protect WSM Nashville, TN

- CHOI-FM demonstration Thursday drew 50,000 people to support fight against CRTC

- ClearChannel has decided to run fewer commercials
> Reducing from as many as 20 minutes per hour to 15 or 12
> Advertising prices will be going up

- Wireless Amber Alert service
> Being developed to transmit information to cell phones

- KKOL 1300 kHz broadcasts with 1,000 watts from cargo carrier in waters off Seattle
> www.dalke.com/kkol

- Police going after FM pirates
> Most of these station being run by gangs promoting illegal activities
> Also interfering with other stations, air-traffic control

- Scott Fybush NorthEast Radio Watch needs financial help
> www.fybush.com

Regards and happy listening,
Ricky