Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [roadgeek] Distant radio stations

> I don't think ground conductivity plays that important a role on FM or above -- since FM transmission is much more of a "line of sight" phenomenon.  That is one reason water helps FM -- because there are no changes in elevation.

I thought at higher frequencies the salt water acted almost like a
waveguide allowing signals to travel great distances.

I used to be a skip/ducting/DX fanatic, but I haven't paid much
attention to this for 8 to 10 years now, so I've forgotten a lot of
the geeky aspects of it.

--
John Mayson     jmayson@xxxxxxxxx
Austin, Texas, USA