[Swprograms] Re: RIAA fears digital radio napstering

[Swprograms] Re: RIAA fears digital radio napstering

>Joel Rubin <jmrubin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

>The music industry, which has been cracking down on people who
>download copyrighted music from the Internet, wants the FCC to make it
>just as illegal to take copyrighted music from the radio.
>The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) says radio taping
>could become an even bigger problem than Internet downloading and
>file-swapping once radio stations complete their now-embryonic shift
>to digital transmission.

This is already starting to become a feature of DAB digital radios in the
UK. Pure has just launched a radio called The Bug described as the VCR for
Radio

http://www.simplyradios.net

It has the ability to pause, rewind and record live radio. Their marketing
brochure I picked up at a high street store clearly targets music recording:

"If you need that track even though it's almost over don't panic. Just
rewind and hit record**. Playback your recordings or MP3s on your Bug or
convert them to MP3 on your PC for playback anywhere."

Look at the bottom and the ** says for personal use only. The rewind
function is for 5-12 minutes depending on the bit rate of the transmission.
The radio has a USB connector. It also has a sound card slot and you can buy
sound cards of various sizes. This then enables you to use the nine event
timer record function which works on a time signal which is transmitted by
DAB digital radio.

Roberts has a model coming out with the same features except the timer is
single event.

XFM, which is an indie rock station with a sizeable UK audience amongst
18-24 year olds, has announced is going to badge, promote and sell a DAB
dgital radio around Christmas with a rewind and record function. Most of the
bands it plays are not on major labels or unsigned and the station also
features a lot of live sessions and gigs.

Presumbaly DRM receivers could be made with similar features?

Now I am old enough to remember buying vinyl and seeing Home Taping is
Killing Music with a skull and crossbones logo on the inner sleeves!

Mike