[Swprograms] "Radio on the Home Front"

Slightly OT, but thought some of you would find this of interest.

I had the opportunity to attend the WWII Reunion on our National Mall in
Washington, DC this past(Memorial Day) weekend, organized by the Smithsonian
Institution, and held in conjunction with the dedication of the memorial to WWII
veterans (http://www.folklife.si.edu/CFCH/WWII/WorldWarII.htm).  One of the
events was radio-related, an interview moderated by National Public Radio's Scott
Simon with the following:

Marjorie Lee Hadlock (Wartime Stories, May 29) worked during World War II as
a junior hostess at the Stage Door Canteen inside the Belasco Theatre in
Washington, D.C., and also at several USO facilities in the area. Starting in 1943,
she worked with the Radio Section of Public Relations for the U.S. Navy, and
following the war with CBS Radio and NBC Radio.

Jean Hay (Wartime Stories, May 29) was known during World War II as âThe
Reveille Girl, Beverley,â thanks to a daily radio show designed for troops that
was broadcast between 5:30 and 6:30 six mornings a week. In 1943, Columbia
Pictures released Reveille with Beverley, starring Ann Miller in the title role.
Following the war, she moved to California, where she continued her career as a
radio and later as a television broadcaster.

Very interesting anecdotal session.   Any oldsters out there remember Hay's
program, or the movie portrayal?

Saul Broudy
Philadelphia, PA  USA