[Swprograms] Jean Shepherd audio files on Usenet (newsgroups)

[Swprograms] Jean Shepherd audio files on Usenet (newsgroups)

If you have access to a reasonable way to download large Usenet
binaries, and you enjoy Jean Shepherd (the male humorist, not the
female country singer) you might be interested in the fact that
someone has uploaded a bunch of MP3's to the newsgroup:

alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.comedy

Some of them seem to be from the WBAI rebroadcasts. (some of which are
stored on http://www.flicklives.com/Mass_Back/mass_back.htm)

Of the ones I've heard so far the most interesting one is an interview
with Long John Nebel in which Shep describes how he "created" a
non-existent book ("I, Libertine") which then received newspaper
reviews and positions on best seller lists.

If one has a choice, one should try to store/distribute large binaries
other than on Usenet. (e.g. by ftp or on a website)

Usenet is really a text mechanism and binaries have to be encoded as
text which makes them take even more room. Also, Usenet messages,
especially messages which take a lot of room, have a somewhat limited
shelf life depending on whose usenet service you are using.