Re: [Swprograms] Re: OT BPL: US NTIA Supports Protection of SWBroadcasting

At 05:59 AM 4/29/04 -0700, Kevin Anderson wrote:

>I too applaud the NTIA noting the importance of
>international broadcasting frequencies.
>
>Unfortunately those frequencies did not get included
>in the "critical frequencies" list (p. 4-29) of those
>that need protection.  The critical frequencies appear
>
>to be limited to those involving health/safety (the
>maritime, aeronatautical, and military frequencies),
>time stations, and a few others.
>
>Kevin Anderson

I have searched both the NPRM and NTIA study report and found no "Page 4-29" or "Paragraph 4-29".  To what document are you referring?

I point out in the beginning of the NASWA draft NPRM response that the ITU Radio Regulations that the USA has signed up to require the FCC to protect international broadcasts in the ITU-defined international broadcast frequencies between 5.9 and 26.1 MHz.

While nobody would argue that shortwave broadcasting is as critical as the services you listed, the case can be made that we should respect international agreements to which we are a party.  Coming from that angle, we seem to have a better argument than even amateur radio can make.

Joe Buch