[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, August 26-September 1, 2016

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page50

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 515 kHz LSB, Aug 29 at 1156 UT, I`m getting a ham mixing with PN beacon from Ponca City --- but I hear the ham only on the R75 preamp 2, i.e. max gain where I normally run it, but known to be risking overload especially on this part of the band. Goes away at preamp 1 or no preamp. Then at 1209 UT I tune thru the 160m band and find the fundamental for the same ham is 1905-LSB, an N5 discussing lawnmowers. Guess what the difference between 1905 and 515 is? 1390! I.e. my strongest local KCRC, but NO modulation from it whatsoever is audible on 515. Yet must be some kind of internal mixing involving KCRC (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Possibly KCRC was in dead air; should have checked 1390 itself (gh)

** OKLAHOMA. 1157-1170-1183, Aug 27 at 1859 UT, I notice the IBOC from 50/50 kW KFAQ Tulsa is OFF! Come to think of it, may have been off for a while. Used to be a fight at night with KSL 1147-1160-1173 IBOC. Who knows if this be permanent or temporary; new NRC AM Log, deadline early August, still shows KFAQ as ``I``. This reference last updated 27 July 2016:
http://topazdesigns.com/iboc/station-list.html
says ``Reported off Feb 2011, but on again as of Oct 2014`` (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1580, Aug 28 at 0006 UT, KOKB Blackwell must be off. No big signal as there should be this long before sunset, but a mix of weakies, including one with sports talk, but not // 1020 KOKP or 105.1 KOSB. Also in the pileup a musical station. We should check whether Triple Play Sports radio resume a musical sidetrack Sunday at 2300 UT-0100 UT Monday (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 105.1, UT Monday August 29 at 0055 UT on KOSB 105.1, Perry, yes, Triple Play Sports Radio is still doing an oldies music show Sunday evenings, about to wrap up 2-hour program, and presumably also on 1020 KOKP Perry, 1580 KOKB Blackwell (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. 720, Aug 29 at 1141 UT, Spanish call-in classifieds, for sale items with an AC 830 phone, i.e. the region around San Antonio, so this is KSAH Universal City, which per new NRC AM Log is 10000/890 watts U4, 24 h // KSAH-FM 104.1, ``Ranchero 104.1``. But official FCC sunrise in Aug is not until 1200 UT (September: 1215 UT) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, Aug 30 at 0158 UT, dominant signal is talk about football, drops off at 0200 UT before any ID, or ``good night to our listeners to the east``, no doubt KKOB Albuquerque NM, as 0200 UT is official FCC sunset in August (September: 0115 UT). KKOB is reliable in switching U2 night/day patterns of balloon-snatching antennas from 50/50 kW North Valley transmitter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880-USB plus carrier, Aug 27 at 0325 UT, ads for Window Rock, Tse Bonito, football talk in English, i.e. KHAC AZ/NM. Altho KRVN NE can be minimized by nulling, KHAC`s lack of any LSB makes monitoring on USB essential. If one wanted to hear KRVN or anything else on 880, LSB is the way to go, as long as KHAC is obviously running 10 kW ND day power at night instead of 430 watts. Think of how we could double occupancy of the MW band if everystation had to be USB or LSB only! Oh, that would also require switchable receivers, not in common usage (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 920, UT Sat Aug 27 at 0323 UT, football talk show seems to be called ``The Binge``, or is it station slogan? Anyhow, it`s surely KARN Little Rock AR again, not on its licensed night pattern, circle tangent to southwest, but putting dominant signal here to the WNW. New NRC AM Log says slogan is ``The Sports Animal``. It seems the ``HSFB`` = high-school football season is underway, predominantly on Friday nights encouraging many stations to violate their night power and/or patterns, to the delight of DX station-counters --- but KARN seems to be doing this all the time, suspected on 5 kW ND. It was once a major LR station, KARK, flagship of the Arkansas Radio Network, and progenitor of channel 4 TV (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1030, Aug 29 at 0132 UT, dominant signal plugs a Sept 13 event at the Botanical Garden of the Ozarx, but never says where it is. We`re supposed to know this has to be Fayetteville AR, or rather CoL Farmington`s KFAY, 6/1 kW U4. Maybe still on day power? Official FCC sunset in August is 0115 UT (September: 0030 UT). Major lobe both day and night goes southwest, but maybe enough to the west on day pattern. S9+20 before it fades; next PSA from CDC about mosquitoes (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1290, Aug 27 at 0602 UT, immediately upon tune-in, ID as ``Oldies 1290 and 102.7, WIRL`` --- the slogan given in the new NRC AM Log, starting ``Good Time Oldies ---`` for this Peoria IL station. 102.7 is really translator W274BM. I was looking for WOMP Bellaire OH, off frequency at 1289.71, as KAZ in IL had reported a few hours earlier, but not traced here: that`s listed in NRC AM Log as 1000/33 watts ND (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1360, Aug 30 at 0153 UT, YL opening `Messianic Perspective` program with Dr Gary Hedrick; odd time, but maybe it`s only a 5-minuter. I think we can rule out Amarillo or El Dorado KS, as EWTN would not be running such an unCatholic program. No 1360 stations in OK, adjacent, or second-adjacent states on program website listings, so I look for likelies in the NRC Pattern Book and AM Log: A good prospect is KHNC, Johnstown CO, 10/1 kW U4, talk/religion. State-by-state search on program site for affiliates doesn`t find any 1360s
http://www.cjfm.org/stations/colorado/
and in Colorado, KRKS 990 is the only one listed.

However, program guide of KHNC
http://1360am.co/index.php/program-guide/
shows:
6:00pm mst Ahavat Torah (R)
7:00pm mst Alex Jones (R)
So they do run Messianic stuff, and this one could have been crammed into an end-of-hour break during Alex. 10 kW ND day pattern lasts in August until 0200 UT (September: -0115 UT) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1380, Aug 31 at 0142 UT, ``Una seÃal llena de vida, Vida 13-80`` ID at tune-in, then `Concepto Financiero` -- for Christians, natch. KRCM Shenandoah TX is *still* obviously running 22 kW day power and pattern at night, dominating frequency here, with local KCRC 1390 easily minimized by LSB tuning. (Can you think of a less Hispanic CoL name than Shenandoah?? But address in Pasadena can be taken as Spanish) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 594 kHz, mystery carrier search at first hoped to be INDIA: filed this week in my other report, Mostly Mexican MWDX

UNIDENTIFIED. 1349.2, Aug 31 at 0144 UT, JBA carrier, hetting 1350 stations; some station off-frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1499.17, Aug 31 at 0139 UT, JBA carrier, hetting KSTP 1500. This is not the same as the wobbly spurs about 0.5 kHz above and below 1500 which are also occasionally heard. Logged on the NRD-545, but also had a JBA carrier on about 1499.2, via the R75, Aug 30 at 0600 UT. Which North American station is off-frequency? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1499.17, Aug 31 at 0603 UT, JBA carrier is still here from some 1500 off-frequency? No replies seen to my previous inquiry (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---