[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, August 12-18, 2016

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page49

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 1610, Aug 17 at 0202 UT, comedy in unknown language, 0203 UT sounds like S Asian music. Rather this is the Tagalog hour on CHHA Toronto, M-F at 10-11 pm ET, per
http://chha1610am.ca/programming/
That`s stretching the ``Voces Latinas`` licenced format as far as possible, tho the Filipinas and its main language do have heavy Spanish colonial influence (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 2748.99-USB, Aug 17 at 0159, YL with marine weather in French. Canadian CG website shows:

``MCTS Halifax / VCS - Broadcasts 0140 Chebogue 2749J3E Radiotelephony (English followed by French) -- Technical marine forecasts synopsis, forecasts and wave height forecasts for marine areas: 201 to 214. U.S. weather forecasts for Coastal Waters â Eastport to Schoodic Point, Maine and Offshore Waters â Gulf of Maine to the Hague Line. Notices to Shipping in areas Bay of Fundy, South and West Coast Nova Scotia``

Chebogue is the site near Yarmouth, not Halifax (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Aug 13 at 2000 UT, as I tune by KETU, Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa, ID as ``Veinte, la Diferente``. Maybe I missed an ``Once`` to start with. After lots of irregularity, it always seems to be on now, but its SR/SS scheduling not regular. BTW, the 2015-2016 NRC AM Log put Tulsa in TX. 2016-2017 edition will be out shortly (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1390-, KCRC Enid, my strongest local, continues to pollute the upper MW band with spurs at plus & minus 30 and 60 kHz, but not exactly. First noted as hets at midday Sat Aug 13, 1946 UT: on 1450, higher pitch than 1420; on 1330, lower pitch than 1450. At 1949-1953 UT, during Cards baseball on KCRC, I carefully track and measure them on the NRD-545 with ALA-330S antenna:

1330.25, making het upon KNSS Wichita KS, the outer ones weaker
1360.14, hetting EWTN, i.e. KPHN El Dorado KS; EWTN ID also heard
1389.99, KCRC itself is a bit off; RF gain turned almost all way down
1419.85, blocking KTJS Hobart OK: KCRC audio clearly dominant here
1449.72, hetting KSIW Woodward/KGFF Shawnee OK mix; see separate log

These are approximations, amounting to plus 29.86, minus 29.85; plus 59.73, minus 59.74, each measured independently. No doubt another digit to the Hz would make for exact matches. I also attempted to hear any hets from spurious carriers ~90 kHz out, around 1300 & 1480 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1450, Aug 13 at 1946 UT, usual daytime groundwave mixture of KSIW Woodward and KGFF Shawnee, roughly equidistant from here, but KSIW is stronger with sports talk. It has a het from a second-order spur out of local 1390 KCRC; see separate log. 1949 UT ID only as ``WWLS, *the* Sports Animal``, and is // but 14 seconds *ahead* of originating 98.1 WWLS OKC, and not // KWPN 640 nor of course 1390 KCRC (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1560, Aug 13 at 1945 UT as I tune across, in case anybody care, immediate weak ID still as ``KEBC, Del City, 1560 AM, The Franchise 2`` (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, UT Fri Aug 12 at 0036 UT, KOKB Blackwell is playing music again instead of stupid sports talk (I previously heard some music on Sunday evening). Soon found to be // its Triple-Play siblings, 1020 KOKP Perry, and 105.1 KOSB Stillwater, but 1580 is running about one word behind the other two which are synchronized. Glib DJ is doing a weekly Thursday ``regional chart countdown``, but mumbles the show name, ``Red Dirt --- ---``. Finally about the fifth time I can tell he is saying ``Red Dirt`s Most Wanted``. (Red Dirt is a proud Okie music genre, or sub-genre, rather like country.) Laments that their phone is out since an electrical storm. Looks forward to all the OSU students about to come back. 0057 UT outroing the show as having been ``recorded in the heart of the Red Dirt scene, Stillwater, Oklahoma``. 0100 UT rejoining Fox Sports Radio. Maybe they have a strip of different music shows each evening? The Sunday one had started two hours earlier (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, UT Sat Aug 13 at 0024 UT, KOKB Blackwell is in sportstalk // 1020 KOKP and 105.1 KOSB --- so no breaking format for music tonight, like last night and Sunday into UT Monday. Apparently off the air or cut to night power early as not heard by 0054 UT, when I`m getting WVOK off-frequency again, see U S A (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 850, Aug 13 at 0107 UT, interesting mix of Rosary in Spanish and choral/organ music, i.e. KJON Carrollton TX, and KFUO Clayton MO --- Catholix vs Lutherans! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENINGN DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, Aug 12 at 0029 UT, S Asian songs as KBXD Dallas is already propagating, atop/mixing with KQAM et al. It`s still an hour before our sunset at 0126 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1579.58, Aug 12 0036 UT, off-frequency carrier is hetting KOKB 1580.0. Tnx to Terry Krueger in FL and Tim Tromp in MI, this was already IDed Aug 9 as WVOK, Oxford AL, 2500/22 watts U1. Official FCC sunset is 0030 UT in August (2345 UT in Sept), and the other guys were hearing it definitely at night, so also running day power? Still not enough to detect anything but the carrier here under KOKB. One way to pinpoint the frequency indirectly: note the pitch of the het when tuned to 1580 in AM. Then with BFO, tune down until hearing the same pitch as reverse het from 1580, and read the readout.

Oxford ``1580`` has been WVOK since Sept. 3, 2002, but I remember when a much bigger station was WVOK: 50 kW 690 in Birmingham until 1992 (now WJOX) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 1579.58, Aug 13 at 0054 UT, off-frequency carrier from WVOK Oxford AL is easily audible hetting 1580.0, but nearby KOKB Blackwell seems to have gone off early in the past semihour, facilitating WVOK monitoring vs weaker 1580 signals. With narrow bandwidth, LSB and passband tuning I am able to pull a little audio, talk until 0100 UT music, but no ID copied. Just in case, I confirm this is not // 1390 KCRC, a spur-producer, nor remnant of KOKB, not // 105.1 KOSB. Splash from 1570 XERF is really a bigger problem: one of their frequent trans-frontera missing-person notices at 0101 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1579.58, Aug 18 at 0345 UT, still a JBA carrier here causing het against 1580 stations, i.e. as previously logged and IDed, WVOK, Oxford AL. There are plenty of other 1580s in the Southeast which must be getting heavier QRM than here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, Aug 17 at 0200 UT, KRJO Monroe LA with ID as ``99.7 FM KRJO, Monroe, My FM`` ! No ID for 1680, and wrong call for 99.7 which is 250-watt translator K259CU, wagging this dog. Owners who degrade their AM stations this way should have their licenses revoked (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

[no Mostly Mexican MWDX this week]

--- End Message ---