From: "Chuck Hutton" <charlesh3@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 6, 2016 10:44:21 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Rockwork 4 Ultralight DU's for 8-6-- The Land of Oz

Gary:

I wonder about the solar activity causing an off night for NZ.

According to the map on this page: http://www.aurora-service.net/

a K index of 9 wouldn't wipe out the North Island where most of our receptions originate. Plus, a K index of 4 (the peak for the last 24 hours) wouldn't touch the South Island.
Perhaps aurora effects extend a bit further than visible effects. I don't know. But I have had tremendous NZ DX with high auroral activity, peaking with a night with an A index of 90 and never-better NZ DX.

Chuck