Re: [IRCA] Fwd: [WTFDA] Re: DX test on 1431 AM this week

It must be a pretty wide directional beam, as Stu Forsyth (Chief Editor of the New Zealand DX Times) reports hearing the test at 1426 UT 25 May at his location in the suburbs of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Dunno what his rx is presently, but he has major noise problems so the signal must have been reasonable as he caught part of an announcement in English as well as high and low tones. Stu also says the email address bounced!

Theo

On 5/25/2016 1:46 PM, Russ Edmunds wrote:
Additional info on Mongolia DX opportunity

Posted from WTFDA's list

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA
wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris Kadlec <beaglebass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, May 25, 2016 at 3:25 PM
Subject: [WTFDA] Re: DX test on 1431 AM this week
To: wtfda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

New country logged from Seoul:

1431 Choibalsan, Mongolia / 959 miles (1544 km.) from 323Â (NW).
Transmitter is 500kw directional at 150Â toward Korea, good at 35-40dBu
with peaks between 45-50dBu (a Nogizaka 46 song is giving the signal some
trouble).

This is a very good signal for such a low power at that distance,
successful for the fact it's one of the rare open frequencies in East Asia.
1440 Daegu (50 dBu) was throwing bleed-over interference onto 1431 for some
time with Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, and others. This also marks the
first time I was harassed at my AM DX site in the 8 months I've frequented
it at night.

"This is a test transmission broadcasting on 1431 kHz. [low tone] You're
listening to a test transmission on 1431 kHz on the medium wave band. [high
tone] This is a test transmission broadcasting on 1431 kHz. [low tone] On
1431 kHz medium wave, this is a test transmission [high tone]"

http://www.beaglebass.com/dx/external/Choibalsan_1431_Test_Transmission.MP3

Please note that this is a test specifically targeting listeners here in
Korea and not a test for DXers, so don't bother with any QSL requests for
hearing this station.

-Chris Kadlec
  Seoul, Korea