Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Vactrol luvin' !!

--- Begin Message ---
Great to hear about the Vactrol success there, Neil.  You probably remember the first go-'round with Vactrols was about 20 years ago with Steve Byan's Beverage termination box:
http://www.w0btu.com/Remote_Beverage_termination_control.html

This was used successfully at a couple of Newfoundland DXpeditions.

Among the earliest uses on terminated loops was this one from 2000:
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/doc1/pennant.pdf

(Ignore the web links in that 16 year old article - no longer good since AOL and Geocities killed off their web hosting services.)

Anyway I'm going to be laying out a new east-west terminated loop - initially just Kaz, Flag, or SuperLoop farther behind the house from where the previous one was.  This should result in less noise pick-up.  Due to the density of the grove of black locust trees back there, it might be difficult to go with a double loop (DKAZ, Bowtie, etc.) layout without a lot of branch trimming.  The first go at termination will probably be the Vactrol at the west end and control voltage passed through the east feedline and then the two antenna wires similar to what was done in the Pennant article of 2000.  First I run that with the regular Kaz or Flag and then - if I can somehow jury-rig a DKAZ, DHDL, or Bowtie - with that.  I'd certainly like to have a wide back null that substantially reduces the NYC / Philly / Baltimore / DC "I-95" corridor at the same time that it takes down the more northerly "I-90" corridor through upstate NY, ON, western PA, OH, IN, MI, IL, WI, etc. in the Great Lakes region.  With a regular single-loop, knocking down WBAL-MD 1090 / WFED-DC 1500 required a different antenna from one that would take out Albany, Buffalo, and Toronto.

What might happen is that, because of low gain, the DKAZ or Bowtie may need an amp at the forward side, thus making more of a need for a second twisted-pair line to run out to the Vactrol box on the null side.

All the testing done by Durenberger et al. in recent chats tends to back up the improvements that can be made by using Vactrol over in-shack termination (9:1 transformer at antenna, twisted pair to 500 ohm operating position pot).  When I ran a Bowtie about 5-6 years ago I noted that NYC low-band stations were nulling at different settings from high-band ones.  Perhaps I would have had more broadband nulling - similar to what I get on a single-loop design - if I went with the Vactrol instead.  Downside is that you give up the flip-of-a-switch pattern reversal capability.

In any event, once I get things running on that antenna, I'll report the results.

Meanwhile the north-south SuperLoop (terminated in 910 ohms fixed on the north side) is still the "main gun" especially at this time of year when more of the interesting DX is from Latin America rather than Europe.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA